Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southampton EGHI / Solent Radar - is the service going downhill?

My call was just “Solent, callsign”.

On the way back, same route, I got handed over from Jersey to Bournemouth who handed me right away to Plymouth Military who were very good, all the way to near Selsey.

There was no need to get a transit of D036.

Much UK ATC provision is a joke (imposed by the politics of ATC funding) and like most UK pilots I am used to it but this was unusually bad, hence I wonder if the inevitable financial black hole at EGHI may have something to do with it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Personally, I would say this is wholly unacceptable.

I think we should all be more forthright – if we can.

I see no reason not to ask “why I am being ignored”. No one wants arguments over the air, but equally, we are entitled to a service. When that isnt forthcoming the point should be made, and ulitmately the controller told that a call will be made to the watch master after the flight.

Sadly, I have had one occasion to do this with Bournemouth recently, and received a very full apology. Frankly I dont care who they are, or what other aircraft they may be controlling, if I am in CAS I am entitled to the same service as everyone else, and, if outside, I am entitled to prompt comms. Nothing annoys me more that CAT or private jets being given some sort of priority and I am very happy to call it!

If this was for a planned IFR flight why did you not file it as such and just call London Info for your CAS join?

EGJJ, Channel Islands

If outside, I am entitled to prompt comms.

I’ve lost track of the number of times I have not received prompt comms.

If this was for a planned IFR flight why did you not file it as such and just call London Info for your CAS join?

My thoughts too. Shoreham should have given you a squawk and initial London frequency. You should have been issued with a CTOT if en-route ATC was at/ near capacity.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 19 Mar 08:14

I’ve done this many times and sometimes Solent refuses CAS entry.

One can file a valid Eurocontrol route at FL100 for example but what happens is that the tower phones up London Control for the IFR clearance and usually gets a “contact Solent” instead, and then when you get airborne Solent doesn’t clear you for FL100 but for something much lower. Solent controls airspace above it up to about FL070; this came up here. Or some other version…

So it is easier to fly this type of route OCAS. It is also a lot shorter; see above.

You should have been issued with a CTOT if en-route ATC was at/ near capacity.

Dream on…

Administrator

Dream on…

See: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/35357/how-is-calculated-takeoff-time-ctot-calculated.
Other documents on ATFCM can be found at Eurocontrol.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 19 Mar 09:54

As I say, dream on.

That stuff works for flights filed into airspace where the proper service is provided.

I recommend getting an IR.

Administrator

Dream on… As I say, dream on.

No need to be rude. I thought this was meant to be a polite forum.

You said you had filed IFR so I only tried explain what the system was supposed to do if your flight was for inside CAS.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 19 Mar 10:36

If no airline settles in Southampton, which is likely with months of lock down ahead of us, could they close their approach unit and release all their CAS ? The staff would be pissed if that were the airport project.
All companies here are suspending operations, including mine

LFOU, France

What would be the point of releasing the CAS? They do not pay for it, at least I don’t think they do.

UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message