Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

€200 burger run suggestions

More to the Teutonic fellows...

I have been asked to take a friend flying with his daughter at the weekend, somewhere for lunch... Will be at MTOW from EDTY and looking for about 1 hour in a C172.

More for me, I am looking for somewhere different, I have done the usual suspects Mannheim, Konstanz, etc. but I have not had much luck finding new places because the last few I chose have been deserted...

Can anyone suggest anything?

EDHS, Germany

It depends a bit on how old the daughter is...

Anyway, a few suggestions:

Wasserkuppe EDER. Nothing particular in terms of food, but a nice setting, with a lot of sports flying atmosphere. The flying school building has just been redone completely. There is a Sommerrodelbahn there. Also, the beautiful views from the airfield reach well into the ex-DDR.

Idar-Oberstein EDRG. Arguably the best airfied steaks in Germany.

Zweibrücken EDRZ. For shopping...several outlets just 1km walk from the GAT.

Strasburg-Neuhof LFGC. Close to the city, which is beautiful and has great food everywhere. If you chicken out due the need to talk french on the radio, you can fly to Kehl (EDSK) instead - there is an august landing voucher for Kehl in the last issue of fm.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It depends a bit on how old the daughter

Lol... Too young and he is a senior manager so could end my career ;)

EDHS, Germany

Any info on fees at zweibrucken, it looks good but couldn't find anything on website. Will probably email,tomorrow to check.

EDHS, Germany

Maybe Friedrichshafen EDNY would be an option. There is a Pizza Restaurant (http://lsc-restaurant.de/) at the airport, witch is really good.

The restaurant in Bad Dürkheim EDRF is good, too. May look "deserted" after all. But great for a stroll after lunch.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

There are a lot of Dutch pilots that fly all the way to Idar Oberstein for the thrill of ordering your "Romeo" (steak) already in the air. The runway is not particularly long and the whole airfield sits on top of a hill. The food is prepared on a BBQ grill.

See blogpost on Idar Oberstein:

EDLE, Netherlands

Thanks for suggestions all. Will look into those over the course of the day.

When I said deserted further up there was a series of about 3 fields in a row I went to and the radio guy was 1 man with a backpack radio... he was the only thing at the airport apart from me. That made for an awesome experience for the gf, who looked at me with a "you pay hundreds of euros an hour for this..." look. i am keen to avoid this tomorrow :)

EDHS, Germany

Hello!

That made for an awesome experience for the gf, who looked at me with a "you pay hundreds of euros an hour for this..." look.

For me the motivation for paying that money never was to go "somewhere", but to be up in the air and look down at the world. So instead of taking them somewhere special for eating (most smaller airfields around here aren't really famous for that anyway...) I would rather take them somewhere special to look at - places that can't easily be reached from the ground. Maybe with a brief stop for a simple lunch and/or coffee and cake/ice cream in between.

Some airfields around you that come to mind for that would be:

• Friedrichshafen (already mentioned above): Either eat at the airport and visit the Dornier museum or take the train right in front of the termial downtown for lunch at the waterfront of lake constance.

• Freiburg: After a scenic flight over the black forest (don't forget to circle around the highest mountain, the Feldberg - you can safely do this below the level of the summit!) and the town of Freiburg - the traffic pattern is right over the city - you can eat very nicely at the "Mistral" airport restaurant.

• Altenrhein/St. Gallen: Nice flight over the lake of Constance (don't forget to take life vests with you!).

• Kempten Durach: Very pretty "mountain airfield" (the highest in Germany!) with something to eat, very pretty surroundings, but grass only. Check your aircraft performance...

• Egelsbach: Proably the best airfield restaurant around, but nothing else worth looking at.

• Mengen: Easily reached after a nice flight over/along the ridge of the "Suabian Alb" with lots of castles to look at (e.g. Teck, Hohen Neufen, Lichtenstein, Hohenzollern, ...) then eastwards along the "canyon" of the young river Danube (watch out for the military airspaces!) over Sigmaringen and it's castle right into the traffic pattern. On the way home you can start eastwards over the "Federsee" then back via Ulm which still has the highest church spire in the world (soon to be surpassed by the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona). Nice restaurant at the airfield, but check for the opening hours!

• Donaueschingen has a real airport restauarant (belonging to the Concorde hotel) but also a little bistro for a quick lunch. You can fly there either via Black Forest or Suabian Alb.

I will add some more when I find the time...

Max

EDDS - Stuttgart

So this trip decided on Idar...

Holy smokes... an awesome steak!!!

EDHS, Germany

Friedrichshafen (already mentioned above): Either eat at the airport and visit the Dornier museum or take the train right in front of the termial downtown for lunch at the waterfront of lake constance.

it is just 2€ with train to the lake. Be aware there are big stones on apron 3, you propeller will love it.

United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message