Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Social distancing from 1500 feet

Dimme wrote:

non-existent measures Sweden is taking.

Well, I don’t quite agree with that….

Now of course let’s hear the Stockholm-region recommendations from @Airborne_Again

I’m really not a Stockholm fan, also there is only one airfield in Stockholm with any light GA activity (Skå-Edeby ESSE) and of course their capacity is limited. If you look around Stockholm the closest ones are Norrtälje (ESSN), Gnesta (ESSZ) and Trosa, all about 50-60 km away as the bird flies. Then we have Sundbro (ESKC) and Eskilstuna (ESSU) 60-70 km away, then Västerås/Hässlö (ESOW), Västerås/Johannisberg (ESSX) and Nyköping (ESKN) about 90 km away. All have AVGAS and clubs. All except ESSE and Trosa have runway lighting (pretty important in these parts). ESSU, ESOW and ESKN are IFR airports. ESSE, ESSZ, Trosa and ESKC are grass fields. There are also some ultralight sites.

The place with the most GA activity right now is Västerås/Hässlö, but the city recently said they wanted to close the airport so its future is uncertain.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about these airfields, but of course I would recommend my own place, Sundbro (ESKC), 11 km outside Uppsala which is a very nice place. It’s a university town and the fourth largest city in Sweden, but has the feel of a much smaller town.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Apr 11:49
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I, in my ignorance, humbly wonder what exactly it is about exponential growth the Swedes don’t understand …

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think logic and wisdom lies somewhere in-between the measures other countries are taking, and the non-existent measures Sweden is taking. But let’s not have this conversation here. I’m not a big fan of typing long paragraphs on online forums.

For moving here, of course you should move to the countryside somewhere in Skåne! Plenty of airfields (ESMS, ESME, ESMI, ESML, ESTT, ESMJ, ESMH), very much active GA-scene, most field are free to land at. AVGAS is available almost everywhere and every field has their own club.

I would not recommend living in Malmö unless you are a city-person (not me).

Now of course let’s hear the Stockholm-region recommendations from @Airborne_Again

ESME, ESMS

@Dimme,
I hear in the news that Sweden is the only country in Europe trying to apply logic and wisdom to the Virus drama. And since at the same time I am really fed up with half-measures that are being applied across the board AND being told once again by the government that “this is not the time to think about alternatives” (I wonder when is ?), …
I am considering to move to Sweden permanently. Any recommendations? Good place, nicest airport, best weather year round.

AJ
Germany

Last Edited by ivark at 31 Mar 16:14
EETU, Estonia

The atmosphere is perfect for flying these days. Of course we get grounded. Volcanic-ash drama all over again :-/

EBST, Belgium

At 12500’ I still had 500 FPM climb rate at 70-75 kt. It has a climb propeller and a 150 hp lycosaurus. I was surpriced as well.

ESME, ESMS

Getting that Cessna asthmatic, are you ?

EBST, Belgium

1500 feet wasn’t enough so I decided to increase it by an order of magnitude today.

ESME, ESMS

It achieves nothing of course. Here at Lelystad up until Friday commercial training continued unabated – no social distancing and with many instructors/examiners in the risk group as regards age. I am given to understand that the police are now enforcing social distancing at the airport – solo flights only or with immediate family.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message