Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin - Lofoten as a fly in destination

Peter_G wrote:

Although I wrote this article for Instrument Pilot some 17 years ago, it is a description of a trip I took to Norway – which included the Lofoten Islands – in my SEP Archer. It might still be of interest and informative for someone contemplating the trip..
It is on pages 10 – 13 of the attached pdf. InstrumentPilot_63_282_29_pdf

Thanks for sharing!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Jujupilote wrote:

Do you remember the name of this cistercian monastery ?

The monastery, ‘The Queen of the Fjords’, was founded by the Cistercian Order from Poland in 2004 in Storfjord near Stamsund.
There were 8 members when I was there; but it does not at the moment look as though the little community, comprising officially now of only two brothers, can realistically maintain a presence in the locality.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Am not sure what the clinical condition might be, but will do a virtual flight starting today. The aircraft is an 80 KTAS VFR only with Mode S. This being a virtual reality the lockdown NOTAMS do not apply.

Like @Peter_G will head to Texel. I am assuming I am setting off from Andrewsfield and routing via Margate, Ostend and up the Dutch coast.

Weather is pretty much CAVOK but I have a twenty knot headwind most of the way, and a reasonably sporty crosswind on arrival at Texel.

My PocketFMS is computing a 3 Hour 45 minute sector, so unlike the 50% faster Archer I will overnight at Texel. Low level sigwx is benign with isol turbulence. The D areas east of Southend are active so will either get a crossing service or route overhead Southend.

There is no point carrying out medium term forecasting in this type of aircraft. Bring a book and some camping gear as inevitably you are going to have to wait for weather to improve at some point in the itinerary.

Will see how far I am able to travel tomorrow.

I understand it may be a clinical condition

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 22 Apr 09:37
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Well the virtual flight is still plain sailing with CAVOK, and the first sector today is Texel to Toender in Denmark. A slightly improved headwind, but at 80KTAS still 02:45 routing overhead Helgoland EDHX.

Will investigate weather on and into Norway.

Did you manage to get a Southend direct transit? (AFAIK they are NOTAMED as class G )

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Apr 09:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@lbra good to see the condition is catching:)

On the EKTD Toender to ENCN Kristiansand am planning to route overhead EKTS Thisted to check if I have PNR (Point of no return) issue on the sea crossing. There is still a consistent headwind and overhead EKTS am at 3:15 of fuel to reserves, but the PNR calculation shows nearly two hours, for what should be an 1:15 crossing. The L18C lost out to the L19 Bird Dog to serve in Korea, but endurance must have been a selling point. At 65% it has endurance of around seven hours, although the last hour or so the wing root fuel gauges are showing empty. So working backwards I use 6 hours less 45 minutes reserve. In effect no wind range of 400nm plus with good VFR reserves. (5:15h at 80KTAS)

Weather still CAVOK. Am assuming ENCN has AvGas, not stated in the PocketFMS.

Another CAVOK and consistent headwind day! This sector is ENCN Kristiansand to ENBR Bergen. While less than 200 nm it will take nearly 3 hours with a 25 knot headwind. Watching the road traffic overtake you is one of the discrete charms of Cub cross country flying.

While only a virtual flight, I tend to limit myself to one good sector on days with a strong headwind. Bergen is a nice town, one of the key members of the Hanseatic league.

OK a low developing NW Scotland which is likely to cause weather in the next few days. An IFR capability might have extended today’s progress but further north we have TCU, low broken ceilings and the freezing level is only around altitude 3,000 feet. In effect below MSA. In these regions I tend to view piston IFR as a get out of jail card, not an increase despatch asset.

Currently only managed a short one hour sector to Florø as the TAFs further north are looking marginal with tempo low cloud and viz in drizzle and mist.

Aviation is the school of patience, only 450nm to Bodø from Florø (you can see Tolkien’s influence from old Norse, pity I haven’t found Bilbø International!) it may take a few days.

The high near Iceland is keeping weather further north at bay, although some tempo sharp shows until 9Z. Still a steady but less strong headwind component. Ceilings not that high so plan is along the coastal range at 3,000 feet VFR. Because there is a weather window making a proper five hour slog to Namsos ENNM. Have been there before for work, not much in the way of restaurants. The male population must have a fair share of merchant seamen, as the preponderance is for Thai food, with the odd Norwegian pub. Last time at Namsos it was non stop from London, but not in a Super Cub.

At Namsos will refuel at the AeroClub and have a sandwich and then press on with a two hour sector to Bodø ENBO. So a budget of four or five days for the outbound leg, assuming reasonable forecasts to start with, seems a fair budget. Today is a seven hour Super Cub, perhaps ordering the Oregon Aero seat inserts is a must!

https://www.oregonaero.com/accessories/softseat-portable-cushions

Murphy’s law is hard science, fine light winds and VFR to explore the Lofoten archipelago. Obviously if for real it would be low IFR, icing and gale force winds.

Sign in to add your message