Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin - Lofoten as a fly in destination

RobertL18C wrote:

the sort of weather you encountered puts into context the challenges of crossing the North Atlantic in a light aircraft.

I am not sure I follow …with my grand total of one single Atlantic crossing (where, despite the northern route via Iqualuit in the absense of HF radio, we kept at or below the arctic circle ) and one arctic flight with latitudes above the arctic circle, my experience is that the wx challenges are different, especially if your target is more sightseeing in the latter, as opposed to getting there in the former.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The fact that despite TAFs the weather can change incredibly quickly, and in certain circumstances will overwhelm the capabilities of the aircraft.

Am sure when you due diligenced your route you found the GA weather related incidents sobering.

Long distances and changeable weather means plenty of patience. Impressive @Peter_G took only twelve days for the trip, with IR capabilities. On a strictly VFR agenda it might take a good three weeks.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks Peter G for this article. Do you remember the name of this cistercian monastery ?
I would love to fly up there one day but everything I read about it is very humbling.

RobertL18C wrote:

On a strictly VFR agenda it might take a good three weeks.

Advice noted !

LFOU, France

I have done the trip up to the North Cape in May 2016 in an SR22. I can second what has been said about the weather. This was just before Bodø, when contrary to the plan there was no more VFR flight possible along the coast:

Diversion to Bodø to check weather, get fuel, file IFR to the day’s destination Bardufoss:

Approach into Bardufoss:

Which was the closest airfield to visit Senja Island, which I absolutely wanted to visit. This is from the peak next to the hotel at Hamn i Senja. It has a kind of Caribbean look, but the water is a bit colder. I only briefly tested the sea water after a visit to the sauna:

Lofoten:

And the Trollfjord (also in the Lofoten), which I had visited by ship many years earlier:

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Apr 09:52

Looks amazing!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Like Switzerland submerged in water ;)

I can second what has been said about the weather.

It’s seldom unflyable in the summer. It’s more that if you don’t need to go, you don’t want to go either

The aircraft is also important. The ability to fly low and slow and with good climbing is more practical than high and fast. Unless high and fast means at least twin TP, pressurised cabin, full deice

This is why people who can afford a Cirrus, rather buy a helicopter, and the rest of us fly RVs or microlights.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Those are nice pictures Rwy20 !

Rwy20 wrote:

Like Switzerland submerged in water ;)

Or will be like Switzerland if water dries ;)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Or will be like Switzerland if water dries ;)

That is exactly what is happening. The last ice age pushed down the land, and it is rising still. More than 200 m in total the last 10k years and about 4 mm per year today

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Back in 2007, I was living in France and we flew to the North Cape and back VFR in 8 days. We got lucky of course, since we had only one day with no flying at all because of really bad weather, and some time a bit of waiting on the ground and some low flying in some sections, but nothing scary or dangerous either.
I’ve been living in Trondheim for the last 11 years and it’s sure is difficult to plan a VFR flight more than 1 day in advance (well you can, but you need to realize that it is likely to not be possible!). Often, I just plan my flight a few hours before looking where the weather is good :-)

ENVA, Norway
Sign in to add your message