Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin - Lofoten as a fly in destination

Well the weather has been benign up north, time to trek back. As @lbra and @Peter_G point out, on this virtual trip will follow the coast. Making a ‘dash’ with a slight tailwind from ENBO to ENKB Kvenberget. Weather further south is likely to become trickier as the week progresses.

Going from the lower 50 to Alaska is a typical bucket list item, and there are several VFR routes. Interestingly the coastal route is recommended for floats, as the possibility of a safe forced landing is not so good on wheels, even Tundra Tyres. There are a series of Alaska themed presentations on at SuperCub.org during ‘stay at home’ season.

Look forward to watching/reading the links, Danke @Ibra and @Boscomantico

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

And the classic “Aerial Lofoten movie” from the nose of an F-16

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thank you @lesving great video, don’t try it in a puddle jumper.

Weather still benign, but the route home looks complicated as a low moves into the North Sea/Southern Norway tomorrow.

Back in ENBR Bergen which is a nice place to wait for better weather.

When I mentioned the Lofoten as destination to a good Swedish friend who (mis)spent part of her youth in Norway, her three-word reaction was: Cold. Windy. Rain. That said, she then started to smile….. I let you guess

What a superb video. Would be fun to try in a Cirrus Jet for instance. But some of the trajectory (apart from the last part) can be flown a tad slower in our planes too I reckon.

I was lucky enough to travel to Tromsoe and Someroy a while ago, still one of the by far best experiences of my life. Wonderful pictures, great people. Same goes for Svalbard which we also visited on this trip, but the Someroy area was maybe the most beautiful thing I ever saw in my life. As long as you don’t try to swim there :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’m curious over what period of time the video was filmed since I was told to only expect VFR weather like it shows for 14 days a year!

Maybe we have been the lucky ones with the best weather ever at Norway. We have been to the Lofoten after one week touring around in southern Norway. And even in Bergen no rain. Then we spend 3 days on the Lofoten with the intention to fly direction south as soon as the weather would have changed. Instead of bad weather it was so nice, that my wife was swimming and then as it looked stable we decided spontaneously to go northbound, up to the north cape. Great idea, beside some fog patches around the cape Cavok everywhere. So we then finished our tour following the swedish coastline southbound.

3 we at all, 2 spend in Norway and no rain. You can‘t believe how hard it was to clean the aircraft afterwards without the natural cleaning we had expected for this trip.

EDDS , Germany

As predicted weather to the South of Bergen is inclement, including strong headwinds on the crossing to Denmark. Time to wait it out.

Are you out there now, Robert??

Can you get back home?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No waiting it out virtually in rainy Oxfordshire.

But am grateful for the postings, I didn’t know about Someroy which is just north of Lofoten archipelago.

My conversion to Zen Buddhism continues apace, 1,000 feet broken, messy weather further south.

Am guessing @Peter one man tent thread comes in handy if you are on a budget.

Sign in to add your message