Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin - Lofoten as a fly in destination

LeSving wrote:

Wouldn’t do that today

Someone lost his viking genes

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is no other place like Lofoten with the extreme contrast between the sharp mountains diving into the sea.

Well, I lived on the “inside” of the island Senja when I was a little boy. I would say Senja is more extreme, and it’s pure white coral beaches. Lofoten is more known, and more accessible.

We used to bade on those beaches, even with freezing temperatures in the water. Wouldn’t do that today

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yees! You will become a real viking!

Unstad is on the west side of Vestvågöy.

Very popular surf spot.

ESOK, Sweden

Brilliant @Avia-Tor, may do some surfing! My virtual flight seems to have taken around two weeks, but lucky with the weather while stay-at-home.

@lbra I think the lady with the Super Cub altitude record rode a CB to the record over Florida. In theory the -150 has a service ceiling of 20,000 feet, and the baby -95 15,000 feet. Never checked it out.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Lofoten island is the “Hawaii of the Atlantic”. Well not by temperature. Surely by nature!
Go there you will never regret. There is no other place like Lofoten with the extreme contrast between the sharp mountains diving into the sea.

Best time to go there is end of June & beginning of July. I was born there so I know. I visit my home town every summer and also regulary with friends to show them the buty of these island. Remember only the islands of Ausvågöy, Vestvågöy and Flakstadöy together with the distant Väröy and last island Röst is part of Lofoten islands.

Normally about 10 – 14 degrees air temperature and 8-10 in the sea. Windy? Yes! Bring warm wind stopper clothing.
Late July and August is getting difficulty because of moisture and dense sea fog coming from the west.
Go fishing; get catches of big cod and a lot of other fishes. Go hiking in the mountains and you will be able to see all the way to the mainland. (With clear skys)
Go by car and you can visit the 3 main Lofoten islands in 1 day.

Sighseeing from your airplane is fantastic and gives you a view of the extremly sharp mountains in this very old mountain range that Lofoten is a part of.
You will be able to land att the furthermost westerly island of Röst. (PPR req.)

I usually go flying my R/C gliders on a small famous hill (close to ENLK airport) with excellent conditions from different wind directions. Hours of soaring with F3F models attract a lot of people from Northern part of Europe. Soaring in the midnight sun is nice too. So; bring your R/C glider..

I did fly my Cirrus there in last October 2019 in a fantastic sunny and nice weather.

Let me know if you go in end of June because I will be there.
I will start from ESOK in Sweden the 25 th of June with destination ENLK. (Hopefully the virus situation is gone by then)

BR
Tor

ESOK, Sweden

RobertL18C wrote:

Although the Super Cub for many years held an altitude record (around 31,000 feet on a -105 engine), as you know it suffers from altitude sickness when higher than 2,000 feet agl :)

That FAI altitude record belongs to Caro Bayley on 125hp Piper Cub (she also holds record number of aircraft flown, about 80 doing same job as Mary Ellis ), the altitude record stayed for +30 years until 1984 where it was taken by a 200hp Mooney and about the same period Bob Harris flew his Grob Astir glider to FL500 and that stayed for +30 years until Perlan I & II missions

I fly PA18, G102 and M20J, with lot of effort I did make FL140 in each one, so not getting bored anytime soon

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Some isolated TCU/CB but nice vmc and a tailwind. Hopefully set fair for the virtual return to the UK tomorrow.

Although the Super Cub for many years held an altitude record (around 31,000 feet on a -105 engine), as you know it suffers from altitude sickness when higher than 2,000 feet agl :)

RobertL18C wrote:

and a no gyro VFR machine.

You should, and probably are aware that a no gyro machine is strictly low level, navigate over land by roads and rivers kind of machine in Norway (unless clear blue sky of course). Even in perfect VFR condition, with a ceiling of 3-4 k feet there could be no horizon when flying in valleys (the cloud ceiling against the mountains is usually no well defined horizon, although better than nothing).

Last Edited by LeSving at 03 May 12:22
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Interesting VFR decision for ENBR to EKAH, Bergen to Aarhus in Denmark. With a good tailwind component under four hours. Strong winds at Aarhus but along the runway, also tempo sharp showers along the route with isolated CBs. Freezing level is quite low, and away from showers the ceilings may be broken 15-30, but no embedded CB. The METAR seems ok.

This is the tempting let’s go see scenario which may be acceptable with lots of outs, and here Norway’s airport infrastructure is a help. Against this moderate turbulence, unfamiliar route, and a no gyro VFR machine.

More zen meditation although a younger self might have accepted the odds given the look outside. Tomorrow looks better and in any event the day can be used for some local VFR sightseeing.

Why Aarhus? Have some family ancestors from there. Pocket FMS doesn’t indicate how GA friendly EKAH is, so would need to research this.

60 Posts
Sign in to add your message