Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Berlin - save Tegel airport project

Tegel/Tempelhof

Both airports can not be reopened once closed. The licenses do not conform to federal German standard. Not even close. The only reason they exist/existed is the 1990 reunification paperwork declared all licenses given by allied forces to be legal by definition.

The best thing for a German airport is not to change it. Look at Frankfurt they did add a 4th runway. This did change their license and as a result they got a night flying ban. Not sure if it was worth the 4th runway… Also the new Berlin airport which be legal definition is still an ex DDR airport. Once the new terminal opens they change the license and this results in a night flying ban not there before.

Instead of crazy dreams lets rather focus on little imrpovements with a big effect. For example if somebody would tarmac a 1000m piece of road the driving time to EDAZ could be reduced by 5-10 minutes. Then if the airport would fuel the planes without us present that saves another 10-15 minutes. In the end the time from my doorstep into the air could be shorter than at Tempelhof where the airside process was not very efficient etc. Why not drive our car right to the plane and sombody would then valet park it etc. All small items compared to an inner city airport with a much greater effect…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Outstanding post.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

True, but what’s stopping valet parking and fueling from occurring at Tempelhof or Tegel once they are GA-only airfields? Why would they need to be so different?
As to GA and Tegel, it’s not what it is to one another today, but what they could become, if correctly evolved.

And yes, it is losing of historical rights that I am afraid of, in a generic way, but not unlike the BER or FRA examples. Yes I have my ideas but I don’t know exactly how or how much GA could benefit in the future from city airfields, but I do know once the use and associated rights are lost, then going back is close to impossible.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The population of Berlin will not accept a GA airfield in Tegel, despite that being a significant reduction in noise. 99% of the population don’t care for GA one bit. Given Berlin’s accute shortage of housing, the will probably prefer the area to be built over with residential areas.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Sebastian_G wrote:

All small items compared to an inner city airport with a much greater effect…

Yes – such small steps can result in overall improving efficiency. I have similar case: Zagreb LDZA is 25 minutes of driving from my home but, as big international airport, it has slower procedures and I have to be present when refueling while my base LDVA is 60 minutes of driving, I park right to the hangar and the aircraft waits for me refueled – the time from home to become airborne is very similar.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I visited Schönhagen (EDAZ) last summer. Very good service and great field, but getting there from the city / to the city takes time and/or money. Taxis refused to drive the main city (yes, ordered it from the airfield) etc… Train is also an option, we used it once, I think it goes once per hour or so. However, when I calculated by costs for transport and issues with train schedules and overall experience, next time I will go Schönefeld. I asked their landing fees / handling and the price was pretty much par on the costs for traveling to EDAZ (all things combined).

I tend to value my time and ease of getting to the city too.

TEGEL is super expensive, avoid it.

Flying Finn living in Switzerland.
LSZL LOcarno, Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

The population of Berlin will not accept a GA airfield in Tegel, despite that being a significant reduction in noise.

This is not only the case in Berlin. Try to build a GA airfield elsewhere, say Hintertupfing, the rejection can be found everywhere. However, the residents of the new airport were not asked if they agreed to the planning. Mafia methods by politicians and construction companies have forced this new building. Tempelhof could be reopened and Tegel could stay open if the political will were there. Legal reasons are constructed to be able to close Tegel. Tegel would be an ideal aerodrome for aviation, both GA and CAT, like Tempelhof was until 2008. Schönhagen is a nice airport with good service, but it is just too far from the city. Even a new access road would not change that much.

Berlin, Germany

Indeed, highflyer. When Stuttgart can get a new railway station
which violates the regulations it should be possible to reopen Tempelhof. Unfortunately, this is only possible for a giga Euro Leuchtturmprojekt (for the non-Germans here: This translates into BER/Elbphilharmonie/Stuttgart 21 😁).

EDQH, Germany

It’s a waste of effort discussing GA airports in the city of Berlin. Tegel will be closed in three and a half weeks’ time and will likely never be reopened again.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It is a waste of effort: it will never happen:
All of those who tried failed.
It costs a lot of money.
There is little to no public support.
Even if we manage it, somebody else may steal the idea from us.
Governments and armed forces are not interested.
But Wilbur! What if we made it?
Orville, stop daydreaming.
Wilbur, let’s just try once more.
We failed before, if we fail again, no one will remember our efforts, but if we succeed, we will pave the way and possibly others will follow! There may even be a business in it!
Orville, you are right, if , and that is indeed a huge if, if we succeed, it will be the world-inspiring! The inspiration, the vision, is there. The reasoning…I just don’t see it. As far as I am concerned this is as close to reality as this Frenchman’s crazy vision of someone building a craft to go from Florida to the Moon in this century.
Oh well, Wilbur, you may as well say building a spaceship in Texas to go to Mars a hundred years from now.
Let’s just try once more to make this Flyer take-off!

[OK, the business part may not apply…]

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message