Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Berlin - save Tegel airport project

I visited Schönhagen (EDAZ) last summer. Very good service and great field, but getting there from the city / to the city takes time and/or money.

I think the best option is a rental car from the airfield.

next time I will go Schönefeld.

Yes about 200-250 Euro below 2t but the GAT is also in the middle of nowhere with Taxi only. It is far away from the commercial terminals old and new.

In the end it will depend a lot on where in the city you want to go.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I like your attitude to this, Antonio, but the reality around Berlin is unfortunately much less inspiring.

Of course, the terminals could be razed and replaced by a small building, the runways shortened and one would still have a quite usable GA airport with much less noise impact on the nearby residential areas, but nobody outside GA really knows or cares for this fact, a sad state of affairs.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

a sad state of affairs.

…that we should strive to change! We still have three weeks to make us heard!
If Tegel dies as Tempelhof did, at least it should not be totally in vain

I am doing as much GA marketing as I can in my little Spanish environment with our little GA projects…no clue about Berlin politics, but surely some of you do know or at least can think of ways!

For example, in the current pandemic situation, I have witnessed a lot of vacant hospital resources at places in Spain while at others, the elderly where practically being left to die at home because of lack of local resources. Surely some effective airborne transportation could have saved thousands of lives in Spain by moving people closer to resources. Tempelhof, Gatow and the nearby lake did that to Berlin 70 years ago!

God forbid, but if Berlin found itself in another disastrous scenario, perhaps driven by this crazy pandemic, Tegel could be an invaluable asset! I can’t be the only
one to see it, and the cost in economic and environmental terms of keeping it open for GA is negligible. The potential cost of the lost capabilities in a big capital like Berlin if it is closed, is something all the Mastercards in the world could never pay!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The only thing that can save our hobby is that a lot more people take up flying and preferably buy an airplane of their own. This might be possible
if the focus becomes LSA. More pilots & more aircraft and preferably today !

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

The only thing that can save our hobby is that a lot more people take up flying and preferably buy an airplane of their own.

That is very true, and one of the key ways of getting more people involved is being within easy reach of the city. To that end, it is not so critical whether the actual time home to T/O is the same: it is a simple matter of having the airfield nearby and accessible.

Berlin is one of the quintessential capitals of Europe, Tegel could be an example, a reference to follow, and it should be a good one. Of all places in the world, Berlin is the one that should remember how critical it is to have accessible infrastructure at times of difficulty (it was ont 72 years ago!) , and GA is the perfect tool to keep it open in the meantime with minimal environmental impact.

We must do something to reverse the general trend and Tegel could be the turning point.

Of course I (and a lot of you) have comfort with my little airplane at my little airfield far away from Tegel, and will probably enjoy it for the next 20 years or so which I (and a big part of you flyers reading this) have left, so I don’t need to worry so much…or do I?

I would hope we should all be able to think big of GA as a whole and as a future for those following, beyond our little GA worlds.

I cant believe we are all so spiritually old that all we care about is our little personal 20 remaining years worth of flying…

I, for one, would like to leave a legacy of GA being a reasonably useful transportation tool for those following, not being constrained to government-sanctioned railways and airlines…

In the absense of better suggestions, I will be drafting a simple letter to the EC about this matter. I will invite the major GA organizations in EU and anybody listening to sign it as well. It is important that we all sign the same letter so I will make it very simple and more of a citizen’s request than a formal legal action, that could follow anyway. This way it will be easy for others to join.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

For the letter to the EC, it is important to keep it one page or so.

The three basic points could be the importance of:

1-Territorial cohesion within the EU and GA as an important tool (already part of EU law and parliament decisions), way beyond the little worlds of its immediate neighbourhood.
2-Having airfields within easy access of main cities for disaster relief and potential use for future environmentally friendly access
3-Tegel/Berlin as an EU reference for a disastrous airfield-damaging trend in the EU, and the irreversibility of its/their closure

Then of course GA is a simple friendly tool to keep it open while eliminating 99% of Tegel’s environmental impact…(possibly the main official excuse for closure)

Thoughts?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

How about this
as a proposed letter to the EC?

It has also been shared with AOPA-Spain and the Royal Aeroclub of Spain and am awaiting their comments.

If in agreement, any proposed route to get additional signatures , personal or organizational, on the document?

OTOH I have not been able to find evidence of the media-reported closure of TXL (other than the pax terminal) . Can you help me find some evidence?

Danke!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I’d co-sign it. We already lost München (Furstenfeldbruck), let’s try and keep Berlin accessible.

EBST, Belgium

Wake up, climate change, there seems to be only one way left. Everything that uses gasoline and makes noise has to go.
Step by step motorcycles, motor boats and GA. It is not the time for doers. It is the time for ideologues.
There is distributed what is not there and with full hands.
There is no place for Tegel!

Berlin, Germany

Berlin is dead for GA as much as Munich is. That is a fact.

In the end, the choice is ours. Take our money, few in terms of visiting costs it may be, where GA is still appreciated and leave those cities which don’t want it out.

Thomas is right, it is a totally wasted effort in that city as much as in several others. Who wants to use GA has to orient himself towards places which still are positive towards it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message