Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English airfields with interesting things to do by foot

As I am currently thinking about destinations to fly to but would like to avoid private/public transport for the time being, what anyone have any suggestions for airfields in England that someone can fly to to walk to somewhere interesting (e.g. nice outdoor scenery) by foot?

Last Edited by wbardorf at 17 May 13:28
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

North Weald or Stapleford, then walk to Epping Forest
Oxford, visit the city
Lydd, visit Dungeness
LeeOnSolent, beach (& hovercraft museum is closed)
Sandown, beach & IoW

Some airfields now are open but may have restrictions on going inside/outside or on visitors, so just check on that

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Sandown is difficult and will likely remain so until whatever is behind that threatening attitude changes (local people, or the council?).

Lydd is closed per notam; I believe it may open on a 2hr PPR. Yes the surrounding area is nice; will need to bring a bike.

Oxford closed per notam.

I would do the Scilly Isles the moment they open but there is no sign of that; I heard they open for 1hr twice a day but nobody knows when and there is no answer on the phone. A super walkabout place. Assume own food, and a tent for overnight and prob99 illegally

There are various “farm strips” which are open; you need the right sort of plane.

Shoreham should open soon if not already; give the tower a call for the latest. Very walkable but not sure if any food place is open anywhere in town

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why avoid taxis? Not much of an infection risk. Or are they currently even harder to get than normal? That would open up the list quite a lot. Thinking Maypole (go to Canterbury, or from there with the train to Broadstairs), Cromer, or Newquay, for example.

Otherwise, the usual suspects, in addition to Bembridge: Clacton (20 minutes walk to seafront), Lee (5 minutes to seafront), or, my favourite, Bolt Head. For museums (if open), Duxford or Elvington.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 May 15:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks all for the ideas so far.

boscomantico wrote:

Why avoid taxis?

Planning to do family trips and my wife would still be rather cautious sitting in a car with a stranger for the time being so will have to go easy.

Any ideas for trips further north?

I’d say a taxi is an infection risk, because the driver is in contact with so many random people who in many cases have travelled from far away.

Bembridge is likely to be closed for the same reason Sandown is closed to anybody leaving the perimeter

That notice is obviously 2 weeks old so nobody is going to be around to issue the PPR anyway.

Of good walkabout places I’ve done recently, Exeter and Norwich have plenty. Newquay is nice too. Exeter is notamed closed weekends. Norwich says nothing. Newquay notamed closed weekends. Caernarfon notamed closed to visitors.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

Not much of an infection risk.

Except for the drivers. There are some indications that the unproportionally large spread of Covid-19 among some ethnic groups in Sweden is related to taxi drivers from those groups being exposed to infected travellers from abroad.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Oxford closed per notam.

No it’s not. I flew there today.

Lots of GA flying around and radar etc open too

Last Edited by Charlie at 17 May 21:17
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

You wanna tell ’em to fix their notam

Administrator
37 Posts