Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English airfields with interesting things to do by foot

Flew into Charlton Park yesterday (England, near Cirencester). PPR was given by the owner no problem and I arrived to find that I was the 10th arrival that day! Its an 800m runway set in the estate of the Earl of Suffolk – beautiful parkland, nice places for picnics, and a short walk into the local village.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I’ve just phoned Scilly Isles EGHE ATC again 01720424335 and this time somebody answered.

Absolutely no GA allowed and won’t be before end of June.

It does appear that you can fly to “normal airports” e.g. Exeter, Norwich, etc and walk about. But with everything (except supermarkets, and they tend to have long queues / be real virus risks) shut, you may want to bring your own lunch. You also have to get a taxi from most of them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you fly to Compton Abbas then there is some very nice walking in the vicinity – National Trust land. We walked up Melbury Beacon and then a loop back through the village to the airfield, took about 2hrs. Very scenic and plenty of other footpaths in the area.

They are doing takeaway baguettes so we got a couple after our walk and ate them sat under the wing of the Vagabond. It was all very pleasant.

The grass runway is obviously very, very hard at the moment with this weather.

EGLM & EGTN

Buckerfan wrote:

Flew into Charlton Park yesterday (England, near Cirencester)

Was that is a PA46, what was the runway like ?

Charlton Park has two of the best grass runways that you will find anywhere. The only grass runway I would consider better is at Oaksey Park.

My little avatar picture is of Charlton Park.

Last Edited by Graham at 30 May 10:50
EGLM & EGTN

I am looking at the UK again. Cancelled the trip to Krk LDRI this morning due to return wx in 2 days’ time.

Not much has changed. Scilly Isles closed. Channel Islands closed. Oban closed. Some greasy food joints in the middle of nowhere, with grass runways, are open

What surprises me is how few places in towns are offering takeaway food. Clearly the explanation has to be the 80% wages subsidy. If it wasn’t for that, they would be climbing over themselves to do some sort of business.

Presumably it is possible to say do a day trip to Cambridge, with a sandwich, and walk about. It isn’t notamed shut except no avgas. I wouldn’t want to get onto a bus though, or a taxi, and this must be where bikes are such a good idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did part of the following walk surrounding Bembridge Airport that is shown on the National Trust website (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bembridge-and-culver-downs/trails/bembridge-and-culver-downs-marshes-trail-). It is possible to access the Bembridge Trail to the north directly from the airfield by taking a path from the antenna next to the windsock at the north of the field, which is the southwestern tip of the bounded area called “The Marshes”.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

quatrelle wrote:

“was that in a PA46”

It was in a piper cub, not my PA46. I would fly there in the Mirage too, but land gingerly as the runway is very hard and a tiny bit rutted at the moment. Also, if landing on the easterly RWY, there is a long 200m dip in the runway, starting maybe 150m from the threshold. Would want to be careful with that.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 01 Jun 11:32
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I was going to suggest Old Sarum, but I see it’s closed now unfortunately.

It had the historic Old Sarum site adjacent to it.
Old Sarum

A pity that that airfield is gone now.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

A pity that that airfield is gone now.

It is? There is a NOTAM out that says prior authorisation required?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message