Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Airports Database

The restaurant comment box is supposed to be greyed-out until the tickbox is ticked

but… whoops… on a phone the tickbox is way too far to the right

I will get this fixed. The CSS is another department

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There wasn’t a convincing argument that it would add value, partly because different people look for different things.

The average score is very useful. If an airport scores 1 out of 5, its a warning sign that there might be something wrong and you need to do your due diligence..

Peter wrote:

but… whoops… on a phone the tickbox is way too far to the right

Ah, this is exactly the issue. Thanks for taking a look at it

In the future, it would be cool to have the map interactive (something like this):
Filter by fuel price, landing fee, customs within x km of waypoint/marker

Also, hovering on airports in the map shows the basic overview of details (e.g. C for customs, R for Restaurant, gas prices, basic landing fee [or last landing fee ~ I understand the complications involved ]) and a 5 star score for a quick feel at a glance.

Last Edited by AF at 30 Aug 03:30

If an airport scores 1 out of 5, its a warning sign that there might be something wrong and you need to do your due diligence..

I think you could argue this both ways. An airport which charges €5 is likely to receive high scores just for that, and if most visitors are renters it will get it even if the grass is full of holes, so due diligence is needed if there is a high score

From many pilots, an airport charging say €50 will get a poor rating regardless of anything else, and likewise an airport which has no cafe/restaurant.

An airport charging €100 will get a poor rating from almost all, but it might be H24, ILS, etc, and with the ramp taxi driven by [insert your favourite actress] Or maybe I got that wrong and it will get the max rating every time purely due to the actress…

There are other challenges, on a clearly internationally contributed database, to do with national factors / loyalties; these can be strong in European GA. Many pilots in a certain country (in Europe) try pretty hard to never fly to a certain other country… whereas factual stuff is much more objective.

It is a similar debate to what we had here years ago on awarding scores to posters. The scores would be distorted due to various factors. This is also why we don’t show a post count; every post is supposed to stand up on its own two legs, as the saying goes.

it would be cool to have the map interactive

That can indeed be added. It will be worth doing once we have a few k reports. One can do a lot of things like this. One of the challenges is delivering a user-specific (user-customised) content; currently we avoid that for lots of good reasons, but it obviously can be implemented.

One of the database+map enhancements could be adding the hundreds of Italian avioportolano airfields, but that would need selectable map layering (because there are so many) and then you really have to make that a user-custom setting.

Administrator

I agree. A score or even a simple comment like « good restaurant » depend tremendously from who writes it.

LFOU, France

@Peter argument against star rating valid and accepted.
I relent and now agree against it.

BTW, are you adverse to using Googled photos for reviews? Not sure about licensing issues, so I haven’t done it, but would be glad to paste images into reports if it’s OK.

I’ve not invested in a camera that doesn’t have the CMOS issue, so all of my approach shots have the prop strobe effect in them…
Doesn’t look very nice for everyone else to see, so I don’t use those pictures.

Last Edited by AF at 30 Aug 09:53

are you adverse to using Googled photos for reviews

I think that’s a grey area. Sure… everybody is lifting photos from google images nowadays. But I think our database needs to be “clean”, for various reasons. It might be ok if it was a link to the source, but external links go dead pretty quick, usually. Most websites are just not maintained for long.

so all of my approach shots have the prop strobe effect in them

I don’t think any modern phone can avoid this, except in low light or with a strong ND filter somehow attached and then it works only partially. The only way I have achieved complete prop removal is with a “prosumer” grade camcorder (Canon Legria G25 or similar level) with the shutter set to manual and 1/80. I have some videos…

So, I use pics with a prop blade in them, but not if it is actually covering the runway

Administrator

The thread which will get a daily digest (summary) of new reports posted that day is here:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/12197-thread-for-new-airport-database-entries

You can set a Watch on it, if you want to get emailed notifications.

It should all happen 0300 UTC each day.

Administrator

We need someone to contribute a new airport report to test it out

Administrator
Sign in to add your message