Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Airports Database

Nearly forgot to mention: the small US airports like 00R are in there now, with names and you can click and locate them on the map. ~15000 airports in there now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks to great work by @Mateusz the map is now dramatically faster.

Can everyone please contribute more reports

It’s interesting to take a look at Europe and see which countries have the most runways

Administrator

I hesitate to contribute more reports because most airfields I’ve been to are those which I flew to as a student pilot, landed, paid the fees and took off again. These would only result in short reports about the field itself with no info on immigration, travel to nearby cities, parking fees or even information on the airfield restaurant, so I am not sure it would be of interest to EuroGA readers.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

They are still good reports, especially if you have a pic or two.

And if they are fairly recent that’s even better. Most airport databases out there are full of really old info.

Immigration info is no problem; most of Europe is not interested anyway (schengen) and anyone from elsewhere going there will do the proper due diligence.

Administrator

MedEwok wrote:

airfields I’ve been to

You might be the only person who’s been there Also, a quick comment like ‘famous for its cathedral’ might save a lot of time on google for a non German speaker looking for things to do.

Peter wrote:

Most airport databases out there are full of really old info

How old is too old? I’ve been hesitating about adding e.g. Corsica because I haven’t been for 10 years

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I would add it if you have info/comments on the area and photos. That won’t change.

I’ve been to ~200 airports but have added only a small % of them…

Administrator

I wonder if it might be possible to have an item: ‘Instrument Procedures’, where one could refer to costs and/or special characteristics e.g. French only.
I wanted to tell people that at Calais they must be IFR to use them (because of the Nuclear Power Station); but also that you can practice them all day without any cost above the basic landing fee..
Should I do this under ‘Comments’?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

You can mention anything like that under Comments, yes. The limit on text size is 64k

I made a deliberate decision to not have stuff which belongs in the AIP, and explain this in the FAQ. I think this is right, otherwise you lead yourself into a hugely complex – and then unavoidably misleading – database, which only the most diligent contributors will bother filling in, and the rest will say AAAARRRRGHHHH sod this and walk away

Even the present Customs and Immigration selections are ambiguous in Europe, because they are meaningless without reading the AIPs etc, but I think on balance they are useful.

You get the same problem which e.g. Jeppesen flight planning product users have. An airport says “Customs” and “IFR”. In reality this works great in the world except in Europe. Both are heavily qualified in Europe, with immigration and customs being separated and the whole thing being one big bloody mess.

The next enhancement is PDFs – just we now have on EuroGA. Up to 25MB or so. Then you will be able to add airport data e.g. special required forms.

Administrator

Can someone with an Iphone please get four pics of the same thing, in all four orientations, and send me the HEIC files, and also the JPEG files?

We have spent some considerable time on dealing with the various orientations. It turns out that phones appear to save landscape the same way whether right way up or not, which is fairly obvious when you think about it: some people are right handed and some are left handed. But “proper cameras” if used upside down will give you an upside down pic, so the “upside down landscape” result is probably not what most would expect.

CR2 is supported but only in landscape. Imagemagick is doing strange mirroring stuff in portrait modes and I’ve decided to spend my money on more important stuff. It’s a weird program; the devs seem to believe that EXIF is not something which is related to “pure images” and thus a real imaging programmer should avoid supporting it

Administrator

What I’m surprised with is that no one published yet a (relatively new) report for likes of EDDF/EDDM/EHAM/EBBR/EGGW/EGSS/EGKK/LFPB/… Only exception is LSZH.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message