Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cubin' over the fjord

10 Posts

Yesterday evening, the weather in Trondheim was good VFR weather, which does not happen very often lately… So I decided to enjoy the evening light from the cub around the fjord. I took my DSLR to try to take some pictures, some of them turned out not too bad. Taking picture from the cub while flying alone is not really easy, holding my fairly heavy camera and shooting while hoping for the cub to not fly too much astray is a bit of a challenge, at least for me :-)
I flew first to Trondheim city and managed to get a picture of the city center, not the best, but it gives an idea of how it looks like.

I continued on the south coast of the fjord a little bit, flying just past ‘Bymarka’, which is the small ‘montain’ where all Trondheim inhabitant go hiking biking or skiing during week-ends (it’s very close to the city).

I then took a leap of faith in the well behaving mighty and powerful engine of the cub and crossed the fjord to get to the north shore. From there you can see the open see in the background which was very nice at that time with the sun shining from there.

After that I requested to fly back to Værnes, which meant following the North shore, then cut across the fjord to ‘Frosta’ and cross another part of the fjord to the entry point of Steinvik. From Steinvik, the controller cleared me for final runway 27, these controllers are quite optimistic when it comes to the speed of the cub, it took a little while to get to final :-) But on the way, I’ve managed to get one last picture from the air where you can see the airport (sorry, I did not manage to stop the propeller, not that I tried really :-)).

I then did 3 landings for training, and I was relatively happy about them.
Before getting the airplane back in the hangar, I did some plane spotting. The C172 was finishing its flight and coming back while a Norwegian 737 was taxiing out.

And the Saab Safire, piloted by Lesving, did a touch and go right when the C5-Galaxy was taxiing out to the runway.

And of course, the C5-Galaxy, which, you’ll be surprised, is not a plane from our club (some strange club seems to be operating it, called US-Army or somthing…) took off for its next destination (no idea what that was…).

So, there you go, it was only a one hour flight, but it felt really nice with very smooth air and very nice light from the evening sun.

Last Edited by WingsWaterAndWheels at 26 May 15:51
ENVA, Norway

I have a few more pictures in this gallery: Cubin’ over the fjord

ENVA, Norway

Thank you, that`s very interesting for us. We want to visit Trondheim and other parts of Norway when there are no more restrictions and would be interested in some information regarding the airport, Landing fees, Handling mandatory? Avgas available and how much the price? How to go to the city? Any recommendations regarding Hotel or B&B?
Did you see the German aircraft being recovered from the Jonsvatnet lake? Could you post a picture from this lake?

Berlin, Germany

Thanks for the post, always in my mind Cub & Norway don’t mix well until @RobertL18C did a trip to Lofoten

Any special rules for off airport landing Cubs in Norway?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That C-5 is huge. They said on the radio they had a flight plan to somewhere. Don’t remember the name, but I remember I thought it was an airforce base in the UK. Could be anywhere in the world though.

One thing I didn’t think about before it was too late is that the outer engines extends outside the runway. After it took off I had to hold until they inspected the entire runway for debris no big deal in the nice weather.

ENVA is an AVINOR airport, along with 50 other airports. Just go to their website, you will find payment. It depends on MTOW. For a typical SEP (1200 kg) it cost about € 25 for one take off. But you can pay for a week for unlimited access on all of them for around €100. Parking is free. No handling, but AVINOR will help you along with stuff like shuttling to-from the aircraft etc for free. Shuttle bus, train and taxi to Trondheim, or car rental. Lots of hotels in Trondheim, two at the airport + one or two in Stjørdal.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

highflyer wrote:

information regarding the airport, Landing fees, Handling mandatory? Avgas available and how much the price? How to go to the city? Any recommendations regarding Hotel or B&B?

For fees on most Norwegian airports (all the ones handled by Avinor), the best is to take a weekly card which is 930NOK, with that you can land, park and take off from all avinor airport (except Gardemoen) as many times as you want for a week. At Trondheim Værnes, you can have Avgas 100LL (not sure about the price right now). To get to the city, there is a bus running quite frequently, it takes 35 minutes to get to the city center. There is also a train, but it does not run very often.
I don’t know the hotels and B&B well because I don’t use them :-) I do know that the Scandic Nidelven has very high reputation for its breakfast (it has been voted best breakfast in Norway for quite some time).
highflyer wrote:

Did you see the German aircraft being recovered from the Jonsvatnet lake? Could you post a picture from this lake?

I am not aware of this German aircraft, but you got me curious, I’ll try to dig some information about it. I can find some pictures of Jonsvatnet, it used to be the base of the seaplane until 2013 when the concession ran out and the seaplane had to be moved to Selbu.

ENVA, Norway

highflyer wrote:

Could you post a picture from this lake?

Seen from the North:

From the middle of it, the long part almost parallel to the wing was were we use to take off and land with the seaplane.

ENVA, Norway

I think a Ju-88 ? Was lifted from the lake some years ago.

Google showed at least two of them. One being restored at Gardermoen for static display. Another one sent to Berlin?

Last Edited by LeSving at 27 May 08:28
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

I am not aware of this German aircraft, but you got me curious,

As LeSving already pointed out, there was a Junkers Ju 88 recovered from the ground of this lake. Phantastic pictures in the video!
And there was a second aircraft, a Heinkel He 111.
A short video from the salvage can be seen here ( German version):

Many thanks for the aerial views from the lake. I try to imagine where the recovery took place.

Berlin, Germany

Thanks for the info, quite interesting.
highflyer wrote:

We want to visit Trondheim

When you come to Trondheim, do let me know, and we can try to meet-up :-)

ENVA, Norway
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message