Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EBDT Schaffen Oldtimer Fly-in 2013

This is in my eyes a must for any pilot living reasonable close. I flew there on the Saturday 17th, for today Sunday the forecast was less favorable.

And I couldn't help being a bit disappointed, it seems this event attracts fewer visitor planes and fewer interesting planes year after year. Last year there was at least the Irish DH.84 that made the trip worth its while by itself; this year the best thing I saw were a couple of Bolkow Juniors, the usual bunch of our SV4 national pride, and a glorious Miles Messenger. And a handful of Cessna taildraggers, too, and a newly built Klemm with a Rotec radial. Anachronistic, yet a radial still.

True, the weather was poor, and also the calendar was not favourable with the 15th of the month, a holiday here, falling mid-week. Still, the decline seems a constant over the years, much to my regret.

Not a single warbird did I see, the closest were a couple of Harvards (from Holland, I believe) who took off just before me, and the "tower" warned to keep clear of their propwash.

There were some Jodels, and one or two Stelio Frati designs, but fewer, always fewer. It must be said, though, that the Brits bring most of the interesting planes.

One bright point is the oldtimer car event on the same premises, I much enjoyed looking under the ski ^ h ^ h ^ h hood of a couple of Rolls-Royces, Jaguars, and more fine stuff.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan - I'd love to see a photo of the new-build Klemm if you have one. I've wanted to go to that event for several years, amongst other things to see the Bölkow contingent that (used to?) gather there annually (Bölkow was the post-war descendent of Klemm)

Ciao

No photo's as yet, Silvaire, but they'll surely turn up over the next couple of weeks. In fact I didn't even bother to bring my own camera, given there's so many better cameras and better photographers around. Indeed the fines pictures I ever saw of my bird were made there by diligent spotters.

(but if it wasn't THIS / one, it did look very much alike)

If ever you are going to come, tell me in due time and I'll be glad to meet, and to help where I can. The date is always around 15 August.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message