Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Ukrainian Carpathians

Thinking of traveling to the Carpathians (Ukrainian ) in August. Don’t see a lot of appropriate aerodromes—besides Uzhhorod UKLU and Ivano-Frankisk UKLI. Are there smaller aerodromes not visible in SkyDemon. Would consider Romania too… we would do hiking and maybe some horseback riding while there. Any reviews, comments?

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Would consider Romania too… we would do hiking and maybe some horseback riding while there. Any reviews, comments?

I have been flying in Romania but it has been a few years ago (2012!). I just remember that for every flight (at that time) you needed to file a flight plan, even if it was just in the circuit. Other than that, all was relaxed. At that time AVGAS was an issue, but I understood that AVGAS is now available widely in Romania. I had an office in Arad and in Timisoara, so have been going to Romania for many years, but only flew there myself once. The Carpatian mountains are nice for hiking or horseback riding.

I found a picture of my arrival at Arad Airport. At that time it was not very common for GA aircraft to fly to Romania. I talked to the president of AOPA Romania in February on the phone and from him I understood that the AVGAS availability has improved significantly.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 15 Jun 15:34
EDLE, Netherlands

In the Carpathian region, you also have UKMN, UKMG
And some others, but these are not registered, so it will be more challenging to organise flying there.

Also, here is the VFR map of the region.

Last Edited by ploucandco at 16 Jun 16:46
Belgium

ploucandco wrote:

Also, here is the VFR map of the region.

SkyDemon has coverage for the Ukraine as well. Other than the flight clearance, landing permits and fuel planning, it is not that complicated to fly there.

EDLE, Netherlands

Hiking and horseback riding is definitely easy in NE of Romania. Fully featured international airport LRSV, and a very good grass runway aerodrome at Radauti.
Horse herds in Radauti and Lucina, hutul breed but not only.

LRSV, Romania
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message