Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDLD to EPPO VFR tomorrow?

Hi everyone,

I haven’t done VFR cross country in a long time. Need to fly EDLD to EPPO tomorrow (19.06) afternoon. It’s altimeter and speedo only in the Extra. No way to tell which way is up. Is it go or no go? Would you fly straight or modify route? What is the optimum time to depart? Extra flies around 160 kts, so a 2-2,5 hour flight.

Thanks for all opinions.

Last Edited by loco at 18 Jun 20:35
LPFR, Poland

A quick and dirty look at windy.com shows a load of low cloud which doesn’t look good for “pure VFR”. This is 1800 UTC

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Worst case: you can’t just pick a 800ft patch and land ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Jun 21:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The GAFOR forecast for 7am shows a band of marginal weather which might spell trouble for a VFR flight to the east.

Right now, lots of low-ceiling areas, especially near your destination:

This will probably improve later on, but showers will continue on your route.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Ibra wrote:

Worst case: you can’t just pick a 800ft patch and land ?

In an Extra? Not if you plan to fly out again

EGTR

mmgreve wrote:

In an Extra? Not if you plan to fly out again

Takeoff roll should be even shorter in high powered versions? I saw it twice landing/takeoff from supermarket parking lots and horse course circuits with barely 200m, not that I am tempted to try that myself, first one was a British National Prix and the other one were RedBull air racers, but any 600m should be ok for me with airspeed & radio and a tailwheel

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jun 09:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So, did you fly?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yep, I flew. All was good until abeam Schoenhagen. I was at 3500 ft when a low layer of patchy clouds appeared. Thought I’d go on top, but clouds kept getting higher. I made a 180, descended below and continued that way. Didn’t need to go below 700ft AGL the whole flight, so not too bad in the end. Some rain here and there. My problem was lack of currency. I don’t fly the Extra cross country and if I do fly it somewhere, it’s only in good weather.

LPFR, Poland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message