Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Important information about Le Touquet LFAT (FR-only at certain times)

I should probably know this but what are the diff between the FR and GB overhead joins ?

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

I should probably know this but what are the diff between the FR and GB overhead joins ?

Here it is.

Not dissimilar to the UK: the main difference is that the descent to circuit height happens on the crosswind leg and not on the deadside.

PDF on overhead joins in France

More here

Yet more here

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Or if you are uncomfortable descending on the crosswind leg you can fly out at an angle (45°) crossing the beginning of the downwind leg and then descending in a circling orbit to join the beginning of the downwind leg. More difficult to write than to do

France

Links fixed in above post.

To be honest the best thing by far is to avoid LFAT during those 2 hours! Since it is lunchtime it should not be a problem.

Overhead joins are a silly idea because everybody ends up in the same place and you can’t see who is behind you. I avoid them at all costs and thankfully most of Europe doesn’t use them anyway.

Actually I landed at LFAT once during a FR-only period; it was back when they were FR-only 1 day a week. It was a semi critical fuel diversion. Lille dealt with it; it was all non-radio. Nothing happened. Maybe now, based on James’s post above, they will be watching whether Brits make the right calls.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nearly all unmanned airfields in France are overhead join for VFR as are any still in class E airspace unless given different information from an ATSO.

Last Edited by gallois at 28 Jun 09:24
France

Does France have Class E to SFC? LFAT is D SFC-2000ft.

Administrator

That’s why I wrote “as are any still in class E” For instance La Rochelle LFBH used to ne class E and not class D. The change if I remember correctly was not that long ago.I am not sure whether all airfields in Class E went to Class D at around the same time. But regardless LFBH out of ATS hours becomes Class G and in VFR you make an overhead join.

France

Hello again all,

Slight addendum : the management have just told me that the “FR only” period will be 1130Z to 1300Z and not 1330Z as previously advertised.

Sorry for the slip-up!

James

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Indeed:

C1916/20
Q) LFFF/QACAH/IV/NBO/AE/000/020/5031N00137E011
A) LFAT
B) 2007010000 C) 2008312359
E) CTR LE TOUQUET HOURS OF OPS : 0700-1130 1300-1800
OUTSIDE THESE HOURS, CTR DOWNGRADED AND AD CTL NOT PROVIDED

C1919/20
Q) LFFF/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5031N00138E005
A) LFAT
B) 2007011130 C) 2008311300
D) 1130-1300
E) IFR AND VFR TRAINING FORBIDDEN, A/A ONLY PROVIDED, RADIO PROCEDURE
IN FRENCH ONLY

It just doesn’t say what the “radio procedure” is

Administrator

The AIP says closed between 11:30 and 13:00 in the Summer and 12:30-13:30 in the Winter. I assume that is Zulu and the definition of SUM is presumably 31st March>27th Oct this year due to daylight saving so it will become Summer in only a couple of weeks? I couldn’t see more specifically in the AIP.
Thanks

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message