Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFOQ (Bloi)s – Fees for use of GPS approach

@Rwy20 don’t appreciate when someone is tracking my aircraft reg flight on FR24 or fetching my phone number in FPL to send me a 7.32€ bill for services that were not provided as no ATS were there, “frais de balisage does not work with GPS” it is free for everybody thanks to the Pentagon, so they have to offer something else

Like having a pee in the wood of a farm strip, don’t like to get tracked and charged for that neither

As I said if ATS are around, happy to do it that way and pay, if not it is no different than roaming free (if I crash I will not even get assistance ), if they are not happy with traffic overflying their airport when no one is around they better get class D airspace and put some ATC to handle it

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jul 13:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra OK, so the only “way how to get charge” that you would find acceptable is not getting charged, I see.

There are a few airfields in France where even unmanned the CCI will send you an invoice for a landing fee + an administration charge for not paying your fee to the non existent tax collector
How do they do it, well they record your radio transmissions. Club pilots making an approach to these fields would make it very clear that they were going around.
Going missed on an IAP? I’ve obviously been very lucky to have chosen airfields where this doesn’t happen or I they couldn’t be bothered to chase me down.

France

Fortunately there is no fee in the US for using the IFR system. However, in the case of private procedures, they are designated a special instrument procedures and are financed by a private party. The procedures get included in Navdata avionics databases, but one can’t fly them in IFR conditions without the procedure chart. The charts are only provided to the sponsor who is required to control distribution of the charts. Flying the procedure without a chart is a violation of the FAA regulations and in many cases requires each pilot to be approved by the FAA as the charts are noted as authorization required. It is sure to get one a violation if a non authorized user flies the procedure under IFR. One can fly the procedure under VFR, but without the charts, they won’t know the minimums or segment altitudes or any other notes on the chart. For some procedures, the local FAA maintains a list of authorized users, often just the sponsor company aircraft or an air carrier. There were several SIDs that had engine out options and that some GA aircraft were flying using the engine out option. They got violated as they were not authorized and did not have charts. So just because a procedure is in the database, does not mean it can be flown by all aircraft.

KUZA, United States

Ibra wrote:

it is free for everybody thanks to the Pentagon

But it’s not. They pay for creating and maintaining the approach. GPS is just part of a “system” allowing those approaches.

EGTF, LFTF

No charges inside FAA land, but I got a letter for daring to call Miami Oceanic while in a flight in the Caribbean, I was only acrivating a flight plan as I was flying a stretched body of water and stayed on frequency for 20min, I am still waiting for favourable GBP/USD rate

Got it denopa, I am happy to pay for IAP design & maintenace & obstacle survey

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jul 14:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

2 points :
1. I dont’ care about 7 euros ! If they need 7 euros I will be very happy to help them. Nevertheess I think that it is not fare to request that way / NO SERVICE provided.
2 .They know that I did a missed approach because each morning they listent the record of tower frequency for the closing period. I hope that no pilot will do traning with radio off (G airspace) to save few euros…

LFPT, France

Listening to the radio to get registrations and send invoices is fairly common practice at most AFIS airfields.

I texted the manager of Blois airfield when I saw this post and she confirmed to me that a practice GNSS approach is billed as an approach and go-around.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message