Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Krk / Rijeka LDRI July 2020

Thanks Silvaire, looks to be the one !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The TB20 is very comfortable. I have done almost 8hrs total time in that seat, a couple of times. I don’t like it, but if I have headwind, and the fuel totaliser looks good and the destination and alternates look good, I would rather sit there than pointlessly land for fuel, which is obviously a greater hazard.

Which one is this

Looking at the GPS track and the timing, it is probably one of these

I’ve been to Jungfraujoch a couple of years ago. Eiger?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Administrator

Surprisingly nobody here knows, but digging around the area with google I reckon it is Mönch.

Administrator

Trip report on Krk

Any comments/corrections much appreciated, as always.

Administrator

These are labours of love @Peter, with a lot of useful information.

You are quite a Stakhanovite, not many folk would be in the FL on oxygen for this length of sectors :) Understanding how you manage the oxygen supply would be interesting.

I spent a fair bit on oxygen crossing the Alps about twenty years ago, and even though I was only at FL160 for less than an hour, even with cannula systems, it left me with a mild headache.

The TB20 is a great machine, and am guessing with more shoulder room than a Beech 36?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks

I had to google on “Stakhanovite”… despite my communist origins it totally passed me by

The Mountain High O2D2 system is totally automatic. Just turn it on before departure and turn it off after landing. Actually I normally shut it down and remove the cannula when descending through 5000ft, in case I forget later, and then one is relying purely on the O2D2’s “valve is shut when battery goes flat” property, which if there is a leak will empty the oxygen cylinder, and then how do you fly back home? I carry a 2nd cylinder but…

No headaches, ever. It’s a good system. The others I tested, many years ago, were much more haphazard.

Normally I am running around 95% SPO2 and heart rate of 65-70, at FL160.

No idea about TB20 v. A36.

Administrator

No idea about TB20 v. A36.

Your cabin is 50 inches wide, even wider than a PA-32/34, and 8 inches wider than the 36.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Interesting to read as always, Peter.

Can you tell me a little about your own personal fuel planning and minimums? What are you happy to arrive with? Does this change from the planning stage to the inflight stage (as in, 15USG LFOB for planning but content to go down to 12 if headwind is stronger when in flight for example)? Your comment in this thread about a diversion with ~16USG being on a mayday has interested me, as it seems more conservative than I would be (at face value not knowing the specifics of how much fuel you allow to get to Biggin). My own private flying is heavily influenced by my job in the commercial flying world, and a different perspective would be useful to me.

United Kingdom

I don’t have a hard strategy; I watch the situation as I go.

I would like to land with 20USG. If wx is good all around, anything below 15USG I regard as urgent.

Below 10 I have never been and that would be an emergency in any wx situation, especially as the last 4 or so can’t be used. On long flights I run down one tank until I get the low fuel light, which comes on when the level in that tank is down to 8USG. I note down the time, and then I fly on that tank for another 4USG (say 20mins), then switch tanks. At that point I will normally have loads in the other tank – perhaps 20USG – and finish the flight on that tank.

Must also add: the fuel gauges are accurate to the thickness of the needle – perhaps 2-3% – and the fuel totaliser is checked on every fillup and is usually within 1-2% of the full tank (86.2 usable). Frankly I don’t think the bowser meters are much better.

As for the diversion strategy: it depends on where one is going.

At low level – i.e. the level where I will be fishing for an alternate, having gone missed – I am burning 11.7GPH.

Then it depends on the wx.

If say I am heading to Brac LDSB. That’s a long leg which is fine in still air (LFOB about 20-23USG and plenty of alternates) but can get pretty marginal if there is headwind. Rarely is bad wx present but it does happen; in 2016, at the end of a flight with headwind all the way, had to divert to Split, just earlier up the road, when Brac was TSRA++ / low vis and anyway the LFOB for Brac was showing about 10USG. That was done just in time and perhaps my tightest flight ever. Landed with 12.1USG, although the bowser fill said ~14USG.

Now let’s say the wx is great all the way down the Adriatic. The options are Pula, Losinj, Zadar, Split, Brac, Dubrovnik. All have avgas and good food Then I would go down to 10USG LFOB if everything was CAVOK, but have never done so. Lowest was maybe 15.

But doing the same coming back to the UK, with wx hovering around minima, and with Bournemouth and Southampton having ILS but being really just mayday options for various reasons, Lee on Solent and Goodwood having no IAP, Biggin (ILS, £200 taxi costs), Lydd (ILS, £300+ taxi costs), and the last two not ideal for staying locally, and my preferred alternate being Biggin which is 20 mins’ flying time after Shoreham, I like to see at least 15USG LFOB at Shoreham IF the Shoreham wx looks doable and is improving. The worst I ever saw, though not a fuel issue, was from Tempelhof in 2008 when the whole UK south coast fogged in more or less concurrently, and I got into Lydd just in time to see the fog cover the whole place. Stayed at a local pub, together with a pile of other GA pilots

So not a clear reply; just that below 20USG things get looked at with increasing urgency

Administrator
Sign in to add your message