Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Barcelona Area - Sabadell (El Prat LEBL, or Sabadell LELL) or Girona LEGE

Empuriabrava is now my first choice for visiting Girona and surroundings (weather permitting). I haven’t landed there yet (COVID-delays) but based on the pireps online I don’t expect much trouble.

EBST, Belgium

Empuriabrava is really nice.
Went there a few times.
The runway is little more than 800m. They reduce it officially to 500m because of a road on one side and houses on the other.
The town is nice it’s like a mini Venezia.
You can get a car deliver at the airport by those guys:
https://www.ampuriacar.com/m/

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

It is a straight forward and convenient field, the fact that is is privately run makes it the opposite of problematic .

Hangaring is probably not available, but there should be enough space on the grass for parking, next to the pumps. In any event, call them to check.

Although the COVID situation may have reduced the activity, it is a very active parajumping site, so watch out/listen carefully on approach.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Has anyone fueled (100LL) at Girona recently. Wondering what the cost is at the moment.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

From the horses mouth…..and eye watering 3.34 Euros.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

The airplane came back from it’s respray yesterday, so hoping to do a nice big trip in April. Was originally going to go Bilbao, but I really fancy a revisit to Barcelona. El-Prat has banned <= 2T MTOW and I am sure the handling fees are mouth-watering. I see Girona is a good choice, but it seems pretty far from Barcelona. I’d ideally like to go in IFR, and won’t be up for being persuaded to go VFR.

IFR slot wise, I presume Iberia won’t do? So will [email protected] ? Is there a number like the German AIS that you can ring days in advance to get a slot?

Is the flight doable at FL90/FL110? Or would it be more beneficial to get an oxygen bottle and do FL150/FL170?

I am up for doing the flight direct, however a potential passenger said he may prefer a stop either way, anyone got any good IFR recommendations? With easy facilities to use and go?

I’ve never done Spain in GA, so is it like Belgium? GENDEC etc? Or a lot simpler like Germany?

I also have an AIR BP card for JetA1, will that be okay for refuel, do I also need a VAT number?

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 19 Mar 11:37
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Go to Sabadell. See e.g. here.

Canceling IFR is a key tool for IFR around Europe. One cannot fly like an airliner everywhere. It is very much different tools for different jobs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Go to Sabadell. See e.g. here.

Canceling IFR is a key tool for IFR around Europe. One cannot fly like an airliner everywhere. It is very much different tools for different jobs.

I did see Sabadell is very near to Barcelona, but what put me off was sitting in the hold above Sabadell as you wrote in your blog for both arrival and departure. It’s what I hate about VFR, you really are in no mans land. I just really love the ease of IFR, and that you get many options.

Is it worth renting a car?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Slight thread drift. Robbie, even if you would change to flying a SET you would also not anymore have the option to fly to LEBL, the main airport

AENA announced that no SET nor any aircraft < 2000 kg MTOM are allowed as of March 24th. A few people are pretty annoyed and rightfully so. It illustrates the compete disdain that Spain has for GA. The ‘Real Aeroclub de España’ just published a long article on that disdain, they must have seen the LEBL thing coming.

https://realaeroclubdeespaña.org/aena-ahoga-la-formacion-aeronautica-y-el-desarrollo-de-la-aviacion-general/

Last Edited by aart at 23 Mar 06:23
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

A fair number of SET used LEBL with handling around €750 six years ago

Very strict noise abatement requiring PNAV so historically more an avionics restriction than a MW restriction

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message