Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is Dublin GA friendly?

Hi

My sons want me to fly them to Dublin in a TB20. Anyone been there? Costly to land and park for a few days?

thanks Bob

Bob
Flying since 1985, but still lots to ...
EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Bob,

Dublinpilot is your man... he will probably be along shortly.

Head for Dublin Weston EIWT (not the International airport EIDW). Landing and parking fees are here and look reasonable.

Not sure what the options for getting into the city are from there.

EGTT, The London FIR

Many thanks Finners! :-) Bob

Bob
EGKA, United Kingdom

The crew at Weston could not be more friendly and helpful (especially the lovely Vanessa). It's true that logistics can be an issue. The most practical options are either a cab to Dublin airport to pick up a rental car or a cab to the tram station for the city. There was a time when Enterprise in the Naas Rd would pick up from Weston but I have not done that for a while. You do have the Lucan Spa Hotel within walking distance.

I once landed at Dublin for a meeting (c. 2008) and it was over £100 for a landing and 2hr parking.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Weston was great when I have been there - last time in 2012.

It is supposed to be bankrupt but I think Ireland operates two parallel universes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dublin is silly expensive. Go to Weston.

Even in a Citation we would prefer Weston due to the cost, and we are used to paying high fees.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Hi Bob,

Unless someone else is paying the bills, forget Dublin Airport.

Operating in and out are ok from an ATC point of view. Airside will be awkward.

Dublin Airport fees are very CHEAP (not a typo!) Hit it at the right times and landing/takeoff could cost you as little as €1!

However they have compulsory handling which will add about €300 (from what I hear...never actually paid it myself).

On top of that, parking will be expensive.

As others have said, Weston is the place to go for Dublin. It's GA's base in Dublin and with a new owner.

Getting car hire is not easy. A taxi to the city will cost in the region of €40-€50.

However there is a (reasonably) frequent bus service (route 67) which goes in/out of the city. Cost €2.40 last time I checked.

If you are coming in the evening or at the weekend I may be able to offer a lift.

Have a look here. At the end of the page, I've written a bit about Weston including some links on bus timetables. Click here

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thanks to Aveling, Peter and Neil - and special thanks to Dublinpilot - I'm off to read your stuff right now! :-)

Bob

Bob
EGKA, United Kingdom

Any good lunch destinations like a Newquay (ie good airport with fairly nice restaurants nearby)?

From my selfish point of view it needs to be 1000m hard runway or longer

EGTK Oxford

Weston did go belly up (the owner forgot where he'd parked his Citation at one point) but is now operating under an ethusiastic byout team. Iv'e put it to them they need they're own loan car for pilots (Compton Abbas did it) and they're investigating.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message