Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First time to UK in times of COVID

I’m also going to UK this week to perform some maintenance on one of our aircraft.
Except the GAR is there any other form that I need to fill ? We will be only crew…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Thanks a lot. Very detailed and useful.

LPSR, Portugal

Hey

Between Bordeaux and Biarritz, the military areas (D31-R31-R158, etc.) along the coastline are essentially :

• Air to ground bombing and straffing by military, with low level / high speed flights
  • Missiles tests
  • Special Forces training area (low level helo insertion, drones, air support, etc.)

They are not often active, but if they are active, Aquitaine Information will warn you (and you can ask them preventively).

Cazaux airbase should be real active next week for what I heard.

There is a lot of military air units in the area

*Cazaux which trains future fighter pilots and some active duty squadrons on air/ground and air/air training;

• Cognac which trains future fighter pilots with turboprops;
  • Bordeaux Merignac which trains foreign fighters pilots on Rafales, and some test squadrons and Dassault test flights too;
  • Mont de Marsan which houses fighter squadrons and special test fighter squadrons), so there is a lot of military activities
  • Bayonne (near Biarritz) which is the garrison for a special forces regiment which works closely with a special forces helicopter squadron in Pau, and trains a lot at sea and on shore lines.
  • Dax, which is the base for the military helicopter training school for all french armed branches (Army-Navy-Air Force-Gendarmerie)

This being said, DO NOT BE AFRAID, the area is pretty easy to navigate.

Once again, all those military areas and controllers work together, so if they are active, just ask your current controller and he will get you a route (sometime a few miles a shore which requires lifejackets, some times inland East of Biscarosse, but usually, he will get you a path through the R-area given you comply with a specific transition altitude.

Be aware of the new restricted area (SFC-FL195) created by Sup-Aip near carcans (on the shore line abeam LFDU) which can be activated by notam, starting tuesday.

The Arcachon bay is real popular, and if it is a sunny day (and evenmore during weekends), it is an airplane magnet. You generally heard Aquitaine Information saying “be aware, lot of traffics on the bay” meaning “you’re on your own, I can’t do traffic information as there is too many traffics”.

Last but not least, Biarritz FIS is closed due to short staff.
This DOES NOT MEAN CTR is de-rated.
Biarritz CTR is STILL CLASS D and you need to be authorized before entering (if entering). Lot of airplanes tends to bust this CTR this time, thinking no FIS means no control at all around Biarritz.

You can still contact Biarritz FIS on 119.175 when released by Aquitaine, just to inform them you are monitoring the frequency.
If traffic is light and you get yourself a nice and happy controller (most of them are, some are not), you may get some informations, and at least, you are in contact with ATC in case of an emergency.

You’ll see it is really not difficult to fly in this area as long as you comply with ATC instructions ;)

LFBZ, France

Thanks a lot, it was really helpful. It will be VFR and hopefully I can do as I planned. Planning next Tuesday after a couple of hours with an instructor, I don’t fly since February and I am taking the family.

LPSR, Portugal

If you are flying IFR on the A25 generally it is never a problem. I have only been rerouted once in this area and the military controller (Cognac if I remember correctly) asked me “if I would mind rerouting slightly over Royan” because of intense military activity in the area Cazaux to Rochefort.
VFR is only a problem when the regions are active. Aquitaine SIV or Bordeaux FIR plus the Notams are useful here as military activity is notamed several days in advance. But even when active the SIV or FIR or a direct call to the military controller can often get you a transit. If VFR I recommend listing all the frequencies that might help you as part of your planning.
IFR you will ne told what frequency to contact next. On paper it looks a lot more difficult than it actually is and while I would always plan for every eventuality I usually end up wondering why I wasted the paper. I do fly the French sections of the route you are planning a lot

Last Edited by gallois at 05 Sep 15:39
France

Just avoid nuclear sites unless you have an ATC/FIS clerance (a friend did hit the jackpot at Calais last month when he got stuck VFR in low clouds and decided to fly LPV on his own on 7000, he got to see Gendarmes for 3h while weather clears up before flying again* ), the rest of French airspace is ok to fly with

*he got a better treatment than busting UK arispace

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If you are IFR and the areas are active, you will be routed around or transfered to military ATC if a transit is possible.

If VFR, the VFR chart says to call Pyrenees info 126.525 (Biarritz offers no FIS per NOTAM). Otherwise, some military ATC may take care of you on 119.6 (never tried).

These are missile firing ranges. We have few missiles to fire, but let’s not take a chance.
Ask Spanish to leave them early or to ask the French about the activity.
@jeff64 will know more.

LFOU, France

Thanks a lot. West coast line from ABRIX to LFBH. Checked NOTAM and seems nothing to worry nevertheless, one might find a few Unannounced peculiarities.

From there to EGJJ and EGTB.

LPSR, Portugal

Which part of the French coast ? They are usually not a problem.
Please ask if you need advice.

LFOU, France

I was planning a night in France but not it will be only a tech stop for fuel and weight release.

But concerned of French west coast with so many restricted and dangerous areas, some active on weekdays, few everyday. Are those really active or possible to go through after clearance?

LPSR, Portugal
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message