Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

...a Holy Flight to Loreto (with my friends)

for those who want to know more about Our Lady of Loreto, the patron saint of pilots, airmens and flight attendants, read this

https://udayton.edu/imri/mary/o/our-lady-of-loreto-and-aviation.php

N410617 E0142719
S. Agata de Goti, Benevento, Italy

Thank you @Nuccio I used to fly a bit to Ancona but never had the time to visit Loreto. Love the great GA community in Italy!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Great place for aviators! It is on my to do list, but I was thinkgin of Ancona last time I thought of going there. I think Loreto is too short a runway, how does it look on site? I see a loaded Cessna 207 taking off there in the video so it cannot be that short!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks for pointing to this strip close to Our Lady of Loreto !
What is the closest friendly airport with avgas ou UL91 ?

I thought St Joseph of Cupertino was the patron of pilots and airmen.
Good to know Our Lady keeps an eye on us

We flew to Lourdes here and went to Paray le Monial this summer (didn’t write a report).

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

I thought St Joseph of Cupertino was the patron of pilots and airmen

Although my Italian students would always remind me that Our Lady of Loreto was the Patron saint of pilots, I regularly drew their attention to St Joseph of Cupertino, not least because as well as being a Patron of Pilots, he was useless at passing exams: So his other patronage is Examination candidates!
The video has certainly whetted my appetite to make Loreto a ‘must see’ place to fly to.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

What is the closest friendly airport with avgas ou UL91 ?

Fano is always a good stop with acceptably priced 100LL. Might go there this Saturday.

To the south, Monegiorgio/Guido Paci has only mogas, I believe.

Ancona officially no Mogas, but might get some Avgas from the aeroclub.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Sep 17:28
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

. I think Loreto is too short a runway, how does it look on site?

It‘s an average grass runway, 700 meters long, approaches not totally obstacle free. At low weights, no problem in an SR22.

I used to have an old Air Force medallion of our Lady of Loreto in ‘panel’ of the Super Cub, not sure the provenance, but perhaps ex Gloster Meteor FAA – their loss rate in the Meteor was less than in the RAF.

Still have the medallion.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

To be honest, when I landed at Loreto, I never actuall went to the monastery. I always went straight to Sirolo, one of the real gems of the Upper Italian Adriatic. Or to Numana, nexthand, for the great beach and good food.

Oh, THAT Loreto. I’ve been to Loreto in Mexico (MMLT, in Baja California). It’s the only airport I’ve ever seen where the main terminal building has a thatched roof.

LFMD, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message