Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Germany - scenic places?

In the corner I’m based:
Mannheim (EDFM), my home base: you can reach Heidelberg by tram. The town is very popular with Asian and American tourists, currently they can’t travel to Europe.
Rothenburg (EDFR): mediaeval town also very popular with overseas tourists. They rent out bicycles to get into town.
Speyer (EDRY): nice old town within walking distance from the field. Famous cathedral and large museum focusing on aircraft and cars.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks so far for all the suggestions. Speyer and Heidelberg have been recommended from a couple of sources now.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Koblenz-Winningen EDRK: aircraft-carrier style airport with great views over the Rhine, and the town of Koblenz is worth a visit
Hildesheim EDVM: Friendly field, the town is worth an overnight stay.
Hoexter EDVI: another aircraft-carrier landing with fantastic view, too bad the restaurant does not serve food anymore (only cakes, but tasty ones).
The Frisian islands as mentioned before. You can extend that part to EDXB/O/Y (the north Frisian part) all the way to Sylt EDXW
Lübeck EDHL: nice old town
Osnabrück EDWO: very friendly field, nice old town
Neubrandenburg EDBN: the most boring airport in Germany, but the old town inside the round wall was nice
Magdeburg City EDBM: very friendly field with good restaurant, nice old town
Erfurt EDDE: GA-friendly large-ish field, very nice old town accessible directly by the tram
Vilshofen EDMV: superb approach along the Donau river, friendly field with good restaurant, nice little town right across the bridge
Kempten EDMK: good restaurant, castles nearby. Have recently flown from the one above to here along the Alps in clear blue sky, a fantastic trip.
Speyer EDRY: borrow a bicycle to the Technik Museum 3km away. The town is also nice.

ESMK, Sweden

My recommendations

Freiburg (EDTF) – Beautiful large town/small city. Easily reachable with public transport from the airfield.
Bad-Neuenahr (EDRA) – The vineyards in the area (along the Ahr river) are beautiful and of course the wine they produce too.
Koblenz (EDRK) – For more vineyards and the gateway to the Moselle region which is fantastic.
Lübeck (EDHL) – Nice city with a beautiful old town.
Lüneburg (EDHG) – As above
Bonn Hangelar (EDKB) – I love Bonn as a city (Cologne easily reachable too) and just south of there along the Rhein is some great scenery and castles etc.
Peenemünde (EDCP) – Land on a gigantic cold war runway that used to be used by East German MiG’s, hire a bike and cycle to the nearby museum where the V1 and V2 rockets were developed.

On my hit list – Coburg (EDQC) and Helgoland (EDXH)

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Here some recommendations from my side:

• Dresden (EDDC): Strongly recommended, not because of the airport (which is still good and cheap btw.), but because of the beautiful scenic city (IMHO the most beautiful city of Germany). Public transportation directly from the terminal, also rental cars available.
  • Traben-Trarbach (EDRM): As said by others: Very scenic approach, beautiful views over the Mosel valley, walk down to the village strongly recommended! But its only a grass strip with a slightly uphill runway, but nothing to be afraid about. Easy and friendly people.
  • Koblenz (EDRK): Near to Traben-Trarbach and also located on a hill. Nice greek restaurant, and nice trails to walk down into the valley. Rentalcars from App2Drive available. The city of Koblenz with ropeway over the Rhine river is recommended.
  • Porta Westfalica (EDVY): Very nice location near the Emperor William Monument.
  • Helgoland (EDXH): Far in the Northsea, short runways, but a very special and scenic place. A short shuttle ship brings you to the main island. Taxfree zone (be careful when flying from EDXH to another country, as a customs airport might be needed. When you stay inside Germany, you can fly to all German airfields).
  • Juist (EDWJ): Another nice island, much closer to the mainland as part of the East Frisian Islands, but with a beautiful beach on short walking distance from the airfield. The island is car-free, transportation only by feet, bicycles, horses and/or horse-drawn vehicles!
  • Mainbullau (EDFU): Nice airfield located on a hill, good pizzas in the restaurant. App2Drive cars available, definitely check out the old town of Miltenberg!
  • Bad Dürkheim (EDRF): Located in the middle of wine yards. Many cool things to see in the area. Bad Dürkheim itself is not the most beautiful town, but the towns and wine yards around make this place quite special and you will have almost always good weather here! Bad Dürkheim is more or less the “Toscana of Germany”. The airfield offers cheap fuel.
  • Oberschleissheim (EDNX): The oldest German airfield, which is still in use today and directly in front of the beautiful city Munich. 20 minutes walk to public transportation or get a taxi directly from the airfield. An aviation museum is located direct next to the airfield. However, the airfield is strictly PPR, as they may only receive 500 non-based airplanes per year! Mostly in autumn, the quota has been used, but from April to August, you will get most likely a positive PPR.
  • Kempten (EDMK): A nice place when you’re in southern Germany, close to the Alps and Germany’s most famous castle “Schloss Neuschwanstein”. Grass-only, but in very good condition. Train station for further transport in short (less than 5 min) walking distance.
  • Meschede-Schüren (EDKM): Last but not least my main home base. Very beautiful located on and between hills, including a reservoir lake. Many things to see around, however, no public transportation or car/bike rental possibilities. Give me a PM and I will arrange something for further transport. Also a nice stopover.
Last Edited by Frans at 30 Sep 13:36
Switzerland

As mentioned the islands are nice! Here an overview of the Dutch and German ones:

Last Edited by FlyingDutchman at 02 Oct 11:07
EHLE, EDLS, Netherlands

Hey all,

We are planning to visit Salzburg (or even Zell am See) the coming weekend, but since the weather forecast seems a bit challenging I’m looking at some alternatives and Koblenz came up as one option. I’ve never been there. However, I know they were significantly impacted by the flooding a few months back, does anyone here know the status there at the moment? Is it recommended as a destination or is it still severely affected by the terrible wx?

Thanks in advance all.

The weekend is still a little too far away to make precise forecasts for Germany. Generally, the excellent weather that we have had for an entire week now will sort of come to an end on Friday… but I think it won’t be all too bad either.

I don’t know what people have with Koblenz. Yes, the approach to the airfield is scenic, and you can have a nice walk through the vineyards down to the town of Willingen, but the city of Koblenz is nothing special.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A lot of Brits go to Koblenz because a lot of Brits go to Koblenz, so it gets a lot of social media coverage

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Bosco, let’s see if we have a local here on the forum I heard that the restaurant is supposed to be nice at the airfield too.

The decision will be taken on Thursday, I’m just browsing some alternatives. We have Vienna as a second option. Staying in Sweden as the final alternative, but it doesn’t look to be all that bad so hopefully not needed.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 07 Sep 18:27
Sign in to add your message