Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel stop in southern Germany

I am soon to fly VFR from Lydd to Southern Poland (EPKM). Looking for advice on a friendly and easy fuel stop half way, with immigration to check into the Schengen system.

I will be flying an airplane I am still familiarizing myself with. Also it’s going to be my first time over France and Germany (though I’ve been elsewhere, like Croatia, Hungary, Austria, Denmark etc.). So I thought I’d route via just south of Luxembourg, so that I can focus on flying and remove additional complexities such as navigating around Brussels, Eindhoven and such – even if that adds 10 or 15 minutes of flying.

So I am considering these: EDTY (looks optimal and has good references here), EDMS (there is a nice report in our airport database, but it’s a bit on the far side), EDMA (again good references on airports.euroga but perhaps a bit too south), EDDR (a bit to close to the UK), ETSI (seems closed on weekends and I might be actually doing the trip on Sat or Sun…).

Just go for EDTY? – or? Any advice appreciated.

Last Edited by Mateusz at 08 Oct 12:03
EPKM, Poland

EDJA or EDMA but if you need a bit more north EDDP or EDDC and if you can do a bit more to the east, you can try LKLN or LKKV.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If you consider EDMS, then maybe…

Depending in runway length, and whether you pay your fuel yourself…
EDMY – 1100m RWY (officially 750m), but was extended to accomodate a CJ some years ago. IN theory PPR, but always staffed when flying VFR is reasonably possible from 9 – 1900 lcl. Restaurant on site

LOLS – 750m RWY and customs/passport checks on request. Regionally lowest Avgas price. Small restaurant on site.

EDM_, Germany

Thanks for your suggestions guys! Appreciated. Now that’s quite a few options!

EPKM, Poland

Funny – when reading the title I first thought about EDTY, like you’ve suggested yourself. I can recommend it as a GA-friendly airport. If the northerly adjacend grass airfield is also in use and members of the club are present, you could refuel there with Mogas. You’d then have to cross a road which is located between these two airfields and which is closed with a barrier by the tower while you taxi across it.

Last Edited by europaxs at 08 Oct 18:30
EDLE

If you’ve got the range I’d go direct for EDTY. I used to be based there, so I know how easy it is. You can do all administrative things there, there is an simple on line form on their website for customs/immigration request, and it means the process on the ground is seamless.

As Europaxs points out, it is actually two airfields in one. the tarmac strip is Adolf Wuerth Airport (EDTY), and the grass strip is Weckrieden(EDTX). They are both controlled from Adolf Wuerth, with the same tower frequency ATIS etc. But they are two separate legal entities – however from an operational point of view they are one. If you’re arriving from abroad you land on the tarmac and get the administration out of the way, then you can pass the gate to the north side, Weckrieden. Unless you specifically ask for Weckrieden it is assumed you’re landing at Adolf Wuerth, anyway, and parking on the western apron.

The price difference between EDTY and the aeroclub at EDTX for AVGAS was small. I think, but I never refuelled at EDTY, is because they bowser the fuel to you, and at EDTX you have to fill it yourself. If you decide to go for EDTY, and would like me to, I could ask a friend if he could help you out with fuel from EDTX.

EDHS, Germany

If you reconsider taking the direct route around Brussels, you might think about my home airfield Paderborn-Lippstadt (EDLP). Customs and immigration is available 24/7. They reduced the opening times during COVID-19 to 0600 to 2200 local, so be sure to check Notam on that.
If you like to save a few bucks on refueling you might then hop over to Paderborn-Haxterberg (EDLR), where Avgas and Mogas is available at reasonable price (landing fees will be waived when refueling a certain amount).

EDLR EDLP

Navigating through Belgium is much easier than it seems from the map, the ATC just guides you through seamlessly. One more excellent fuel stop on that route would be Bonn-Hangelar EDKB. A very friendly place. Like at many other places in Germany, the aerodrome office will handle the Schengen immigration matters.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks to this very helpdul thread I just used Schwsabishe Halle EDTY for a refuelling stop on a return from Venice Lido to Gloucestershire UK.

What a terrific airport! Mostly thanks I suspect to the giant private fasteners company headquartered nearby, Wurth.

Total block to block turnaround time was 60 minutes, inc refuelling at the self service bowser, paying at the C office and having to shut down just after start up when the police turned up after all to do a customs check.

Avgas E 2.2 per litre, plus VAT

Landing E 35, IFR fees in and out total E 24, and customs fee E 25, all plus VAT.

Interesting to me that they offer various instrument approaches, but they don’t have ATC, just an info service.

For years I have had a mental block about visiting German airfields, as I am not familiar with the country and dont speak the language. I am determined to change that now and am planning a late October trip there.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

That sounds great. @Buckerfan please don’t forget to update the airport database

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message