Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for practical advice on trip to Germany

Interesting development.

I emailed Koblenz Flugplatz about my plans. They responded that before arriving I would need a negative Covid test result. In a follow up they indicated this is “information for Rheinland-Pfalz”

According to the UK govt the UK and Germany still have a travel corridor under which quarantine free, and Covid test free, travel is possible between the two countries.

Does anyone in Germany know of specific rules for this area of Germany that I am unaware of.

Thank you

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

@Buckerfan, I think that’s the general problem right now – the rules change every day.

@buckerfan

The current rules for Rhineland-Palatinate can be found here (official and in English):

https://corona.rlp.de/fileadmin/rlp-stk/pdf-Dateien/Corona/Fremdsprachen/FAQ__-_Quarantaene_englisch_Stand_14.10.2020.pdf

Note that what constitutes a “risk area” is re-evaluated on a daily basis by the Robert Koch Institute. The list can be found here:

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

There is a link to a pdf file in English right beneath the title of that page.

EDIT: Parts of the UK are designated “risk area”:

The entire nations of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, as well as the English regions East Midlands, West Midlands, North East, North West, Yorkshire and the Humber.

If you have been there in the past 14 days, you need to quarantine upon arrival in RLP.
To avoid a quarantine upon arrival, you need to show a negative Covid-19 PCR test that is no older than 48 hrs. If you merely transit through Rhineland-Palatinate, you do not have to quarantine, but need to leave on the most direct route to your destination.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 19 Oct 19:05
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Buckerfan wrote:

According to the UK govt the UK and Germany still have a travel corridor under which quarantine free, and Covid test free, travel is possible between the two countries.

The UK government (and devolved ones) travel corridor are only when travelling back to the UK.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Germany has quarantine on UK arrival on specific UK regions but I was not aware tests are required?
The “corridor exemption” is for flights back to the UK

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Sad news. As of last night, Germany has designated the whole of the UK as “high risk”, meaning travel to Germany is not possible without a clear covid test result within 48 hours of arrival. So our trip there is off the table sadly.

In any event, the German airports we contacted over the last week all required clear Covid test results, even though we are based outside what had been the RKI designated “high risk” area of the UK. We could have got the Covid tests done (£200 each here privately), but were left with the impression that tourism from the UK was not going to be particularly welcome at the personal level. And they are probably right, so its heads down into winter survival mode in miserable England!

To amuse ourselves I have starting teaching my wife to use the autopilot to make an approach and then land, in case of pilot incapacitation. She is a wonderful involved passenger but has always resisted learning to fly. So on to a new challenge!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Yes indeed; here.

A test before the trip is doable, if tight timewise. I used Lloyds Pharmacy for Italy (72hrs rule). The “tightness” comes from it taking 2 days after you post it back, so you have to fly no later than the day after you get the result. Obviously, since the 72hrs are counted from the time of the test, you ought to write the latest plausible time on the label e.g. 1700 because you could have possibly posted it at 1800 I wrote the truthful time on it (1000) but landed at 1300 72hrs later but nothing was said about it being 3hrs outside the window. However I did also email the airport with the PDF certificate and they duly passed it to the police and everybody was happy before I even got there.

£120 https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/coronavirus-covid-19-testing

But if Germany needs 48hrs then it is impossible; you would need a service which gives you the result the day after you post it back. Or use some drive-in service; I believe there is one in London… Or maybe the lab whose name appears on the Lloyds website – https://www.tdlpathology.com/ – might be usable?

I have not noticed any hostility towards the UK in any of the numerous places I visited this year. Everybody is just being careful…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

I emailed Koblenz Flugplatz about my plans. They responded that before arriving I would need a negative Covid test result. In a follow up they indicated this is “information for Rheinland-Pfalz”. According to the UK govt the UK and Germany still have a travel corridor under which quarantine free, and Covid test free, travel is possible between the two countries.

Germany has a federal system of government. Each region decides what it is doing in the same way that each of the UK countries is doing different things.
I have just completed a flight to Germany from France, we stayed a couple of days and returned. We got a test the Friday morning, the test results were available online the Saturday Lunchtime and we arrived in Germany the Sunday afternoon and everyone was happy. We also filled in the German equivilent of the UKs Pax Locator form – you will need to do this wherever you come from. On arrival in Germany the first thing the aerodrome did was send off our Forms and Test results to somewhere… There is currently a NOTAM for all Germany which has links to the German Govt website which details the areas considered “at risk” and links to the Pax Locator form in various languages. For France only border departments are considered “not at risk” which is of course down to local economics/politics not actual health risk… If you dont think you come from an area “at risk” I would suggest that you politely Email the aerodrome back with the relavent text from the official German website, as I doubt that they know the specific details any more than anyone else and are giving the blanket advice from their region.

Regards, SD..

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message