Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Speyer, and a lap around the Feldberg

Whilst Madrid is drowning in snow, Central Europe has high pressure these days, and the weather in the southestern quadrant of Germany is very nice this weekend. A good occasion for my first flight of the year, so I pulled out the trusty Cherokee 180 today. It was another short cross-country, from Mainz (EDFZ) to Speyer (EDRY). 40 miles down the Rhine valley,

Even though it was a short flight, I just had to take the occasion and go on top of the scattered clouds for a few minutes. Flying on top just so magic, and puts a smile on my face every time.

Back below the clouds and abeam Mannheim.

Righthand base 34 at Speyer, just about to turn final.

Final.

By the way, Speyer was hooving. A matter of this being a very popular airfield and so many others being closed atm. Whilst I was landing, I heard Pilot Frank approaching in his FK9 as well. Later, I saw I like Flying depart in his magnidicent Silver Eagle.

The charcteristic shot of Speyer, with the 747 and the Dom (Speyer Cathedral).

This was the first time I could make use of my new Kwiggle bike…

… so I cycled a bit along the River Rhine, to the city of Speyer.

Here is the Kwiggle in in unfolded shape. I really works quite well.

Food options were limited, but sitting in the sunshine, in front of the Cathedral, anything was good.

The Kwiggle fits very easily through the baggage door of a PA28.

At the hold, warming up the engine a bit more.

Departures from runway 34 at Speyer are always nice, since they take you just past the tech museum and the Cathedral.

On the return flight, I decided to take a detour and bimble around a bit more to the north of Frankfurt, in the Taunus region. Since Frankfurt TWR did not offer any northbound crossing of their CTR, I had to keep just west of it heading towards Wiesbaden (ETOU). Since runway 07 was in use, this got me some company just a thousand feet above me.

Frankfurt airport and Frankfurt city in the background.

Wiesbaden ETOU.

Hofheim.

And this is where I am headed: the Großer Feldberg, the highest peak of the Taunus, at an elevation of 2.884 feet.

Golf course near Kelkheim.

Brilliant winter colours, no?

Koenigstein.

One circle, clockwise, around the Feldberg.

Heading back to Mainz.

Taxying back in.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Jan 20:39
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nice flight and it seems that you have had more luck with your first Kwiggle ride than me.

EDDS , Germany

Thanks Peter. Knock on wood. Indeed, it does require attention in unknown, even terrain, around tight corners, etc. But once you have a nice long stretch of well-paved Radweg, it really works well.

You still in Bretagne? Any more local flights?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

No, we came back on Wednesday, due of my wife’s work. We hope to be able to go to the Bretagne again on February, but it depends on the regulation then. Meanwhile, since yesterday, Bretagne is again named as risk area, because of an actual incidence factor auf 53. This is much lower then anywhere in our region here in the south, but means quarantine when coming back. Something which would kill my March business. But hopefully the situation will change again until then.

EDDS , Germany
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message