Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

All across the Dolomites (2010)

10 Posts

Another little “blast from the past” here…

Ten years ago, when I was still living in Verona, every single flight was an adventure (in the positive sense) and most of them produced great photos, even though my digital camera equipment at the time was still what it was.

One of those numerous flights of which I just came across some photos was in August 2010, so just over ten years ago now. In that case, I didn’t take off from Boscomantico (LIPN), but from Thiene (LIDH), near Vicenza, where I was also a member of the local Aeroclub. Together with a German friend, I decided to fly all across the Dolomites, to Dobbiaco/Toblach (LIVD), in Val Pusteria.

Here is a very nice map of the Dolomites (credits), on which I have drawn a straight line between our departure and destination (obviously, it wasn’t quite flown like this, but just to give you an idea):

Unfortunately, for several years now, landing at Dobbiaco has no longer been possible for visiting GA pilots. The airport is owned and operated by the Italian military, and in 2014, the commander changed and he banned visiting GA there. At the time, it was possible to get permission to land from the local Aeroclub Dobbiaco.

One of the aircraft I used to fly at Aeroclub Thiene was their 1970 Cherokee 180. That was an E model, very similar to the C model I fly these days.
Here I am, on the day this flight took place, before departure from Thiene.

After takeoff, we climbed straight to about 8500 feet.

However, it soon dawned on me that, despite it still being rather early in the morning, there was already quite a lot of puffy clouds around, and that I would have to climb higher.

So, we went first to 9000 and later to 10000 feet.

Even at 10000 feet, there were still a lot of puffies to deal with, but then again, it also added to the scenery, and it never came to the point where it was a problem. We did some nice “contour flying”.

Here we are, in the descent, flying through the Hoehlensteintal, leading up from Cortina d’Ampezzo to Dobbiaco. The wide valley ahead is the Pustertal / Val Pusteria.

There is the airfield (recognizable only as a long strip of grass amongst the fields). It also shows how close the airfield is to the town (less than 5 minutes walk).

A friend that we were visiting there took photos as we taxied in.

A few impressions of Dobbiaco.

Here you can see the impressive Hoehlensteintal that we just came through minutes before.

Later the afternoon, we headed home again. Our friend took another photo of us departing.

Here’s the town of Dobbiaco again.

We took essentially the same route back, and got another bunch of nice photos.

Cortina d’Ampezzo:

A few more mountains, before reaching Thiene again…

Looking forward to doing these things again soon…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Beautiful.

Are those the Tre Cime? (Drei Zinnen)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jan 21:08

You mean this one? Sure!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jan 21:35

Yep, that one… Thanks, fantastic.

I’ve been to and through Dobbiaco often since the first time I crossed the border near there by motorcycle, as a kid many many km from home…

Taken that Day, 32 years ago (as proof I made it to Italy, I couldn’t send an email!)

From Google Maps Today (not too much change… the petrol station is gone because now it’s cheaper on the Austrian side)

Pardon the slight nostalgia, and thanks for the great photos. It must’ve been a great flight.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jan 22:01

Lovely trip. Thanks for posting.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Amazing, great pictures! I’m really jealous you made it into Toblach, it looks like such a good mountain airstrip. It’s pity that the current commander doesn’t allow GA into the airfield anymore. Did you make also a picture of the former Cortina Airport?

Last Edited by Frans at 23 Jan 00:50
Switzerland

Great report, thanks a lot.

The dolomites are great scenery to fly in. I passed them several times between the southern tip of the Engadin (Val Mustair) and Slovenia.

A few pictures between Merano and Dobbiacco.

Some mountain station, could be Kronplatz?

Dobbiaco/Tolbach from the air

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Jan 06:13
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Morning Gents,

thanks. Re Cortina: to be honest, at the time, I didn‘t even know that airfield ever existed. I posted about it here, about five years ago, when they were talking about reopening it, but frankly I never believed in these stories…

Keep on digging in your old boxes, nice pictures in there And it inspired me to do the same…

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Gorgeous Fotos, thanks for sharing!

always learning
LO__, Austria
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message