Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Almost made it to France...

I wonder when @eddsPeter and me will be done showcasing all the places in Germany…

Yesterday’s flight was to Saarlouis-Düren (EDRJ), in the Saarland, bordering France. After Saarbrücken, Saarlouis is the second city of this Bundesland, and its airfield is a good active GA place with competetively priced fuel and friendly people. By the way, the Saarland actually belonged to France a few times in its history. The last time was after WW2. Even most people in Germany don’t know that it wasn’t until 1957 that the Saarland joined Germany again, after a referendum where the people voted to come back to Germany. If interested, you can read more about the Saarland in the usual place.

Here is is the map to show you the big picture as well as the flightplanning.

Coming from Mainz (EDFZ) there is not much in the in terms of airspace, except the Frankfurt TMA and a restricted area, which however is not active on weekends.

I took the Piper Cherokee 140 this time. It’s properly IFR-equipped, and it is for sale by the way (see planecheck).

Towards the south, there were scattered clouds at about 4500 feet, and rather bumpy air below. So, after departure from runway 08 at EDFZ, I called up Langen FIS and asked for a climb clearance to FL65 inside the class C airspace. This was approved without further ado and without even a frequency change to Langen Radar (in non-Covid times, such clearance is obviously somewhat less likely).

Here is a short video clip.

Fast forward twenty minutes and back below the (few) clouds, checking the scenery of the Saarland. My route took me past one of the “landmarks” of the Saarland, the Dillinger Hütte, a massive steel producing facility. Not pretty, but part of the country’s industrial success.

Crossing the river Saar a couple of minutes later.

And another couple of minutes later, joining righthand downwind for runway 07 at Saarlouis, which is on top of a hill.

The circuit takes you within a few hundred metres of France.

Safely down.

After paying the landing fee, I took my foldable bike and explored the area a bit. The airfield is only a couple of miles from the French border, and the street signs give you the option.

I also cycled to the border.

Back at the airfield, there was some flying activity.

On my return, I decided to take a detour and first fly due north for about 5 minutes, to see the Saarland‘s most famous “real” scenery highlight, the Saarschleife near Mettlach. The light wasn’t perfect and obviously the vegetation is a bit dull this time of year, but I managed to take a few nice shots. That panorama tower there is very popular amongst photographers and hikers, but is currently closed.

From there, the way back to Mainz took me across most of the Hunsrück, and I elected to do it “low level” to enjoy the views.

Idar-Oberstein airfield (EDRG)

Crossing the river Nahe, IMHO one of the most beautiful rivers in Germany.

Right by the river Nahe is Langenlonsheim airfield (EDEL), in the centre of the image.

Joining right hand base for 08 at Mainz.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Feb 18:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great pics! Even during lockdown you can fly distances thanks to living in large country. I’m limited to one hour hops to seaside.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Beautiful report, thanks for sharing!

Emir wrote:

thanks to living in large country

Ah! Germany used to be much larger than it is today! The good old times…
(joke)

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 28 Feb 18:56
EDDW, Germany

@boscomantico wrote:

I wonder when @eddsPeter and me will be done showcasing all the places in Germany…

You are right. Last week we have been at EDFB, Reichelsheim with our foldable bike to tour around a bit. Nearly no inflight photos, due of a defect SD card. But on ground we got a big fish, a stork and a happy bathing dog with our smartphones.

And the taxiway was a bit wet.

EDDS , Germany

Nice little trip Bosco!

Switzerland

Coincidentally, as of tonight, the adjacent Département Moselle will be considered an „area of variant of concern“ by Germany. Link

Yes it is seen as quite a scandal in France.
Beautiful pics as usual !
The plane looks great on planecheck. What is a typical cruise speed ?

LFOU, France

This one is a late model, and has wheel fairings and a cruise prop. At the optimum altitudes (6-8k) it is good for 115KTAS at 32 lph.

Looks like a nice Cherokee and certainly a nice trip.

Is it the engine oil pressure indication that looks to be at redline? I’ve seen two non-obvious things leading to that situation: a revised and higher oil pressure regulator setting implemented on a replacement engine, or a subtly broken gauge. In my case it ended up being the latter: the indication on my similar old Stewart Warner strip gauge moved up over a number of flights until it read redline in cruise, the result of the soft soldered Bourdon tube mounting cracking from long term vibration.

Good catch. Well, it has always been that way, just below redline on the gauge. Thanks for the pointers.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message