Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip to Llanbedr EGFD

Llanbedr (EGFD) is a former RAF base on the north Wales coast. Hosting all sorts of squadrons during the war, its post-war service was mainly as a fighter gunnery school – towed targets and that sort of thing.

Despite no serious/intensive activity for decades it still has three long tarmac runways in excellent condition – two of them 1,300m and the longest 2,300m – though no lighting, approach aids or ATC. The only aviation use is a small (2-3 aircraft) flying school, other than that it is unattended and you can come and go as you like with a £12 landing fee in an envelope and a gate code to get back in. Not sure who really owns/runs it, but it is very relaxed.

The village is a 15 minute walk and apparently has three pubs where one might obtain a meal (or perhaps a bed for the night). We turned in the other direction from the main gate and took a 30 minute walk to the beach. There is also a large campsite a similar distance away, or you could camp in the extensive sand dunes.

We took the TB10 for a short outing. It was a very good way to get there from Enstone – a one hour flight – and driving to that part of the Welsh coast would have taken 3-4 hours on twisty roads.

There are some new toys in the TB10, a GTN650Xi and a G5, which we are very pleased with!

Last Edited by Graham at 17 Apr 21:02
EGLM & EGTN

It looks like a nice destination for a walk to the coast. Thanks for your report.

EDDS , Germany

WOW, great report, thanks.

Sounds like almost a dream of both the airport and surroundings.

Appears it is run by

https://www.flysnowdonia.com/

Pilot info sais it is strictly PPR…. looks like no so strictly from your experience

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Nice trip & congrats for the G-toys !

@M_D every airport in UK is “strictly PPR”, except 3 airports, Llanbedr is “light PPR”

I used to spend a whole week gliding there where we invade those huge empty hangars
One summer they were booked by RedBull to fly two aircraft in formation inside

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/red-bull-barnstorming-action-clip-video

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Apr 21:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Pilot info sais it is strictly PPR…. looks like no so strictly from your experience

My bad. I did email for PPR as the websites says, but that is no hassle. In fact I emailed on a Friday evening about 1930 and the guy emailed back within 5 mins to say “yeah fine, whatever.”

EGLM & EGTN

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Pilot info sais it is strictly PPR

What’s the difference between “PPR” and “Strictly PPR”?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Great trip. I wish I could have come along One must make the best of the great wx we are having right now.

What’s the difference between “PPR” and “Strictly PPR”?

The latter is if the airfield owner has a day job as a traffic warden, police officer, ATC, is ex RAF, or is an ISO9000 quality manager.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Graham nice photos and nice set up in -OFIT

Too bracing for some surfing ? :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Very nice, thanks for posting. Surfing would indeed be a quite a challenge, unless the TB10 has excellent heating. But at least your partner shows some resilience by putting her feet in what must have been cryogenic temps. Are you one of the lucky ones here having a partner that actually likes flying?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

It can’t be that cold – while rewiring a boat mast yesterday, we were watching a group of teenagers diving in off the breakwater in Port Erin, and none of them got hypothermia!

Andreas IOM
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message