Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid February 2022, and ski to somewhere near by

I created Telegram group

Feel free to join. I’ll copy all useful info here for those who don’t use the application.

Last Edited by Emir at 23 Jan 17:45
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I thought you noted my quality

Whoops – I meant black run level

amuse the Austrians with my vintage 200cm RC4s

Chatting to people on the lifts, I hear a lot of stories about how it used to be, with 220cm skis apparently being a real handful (difficult – needing a lot of strength). Things are much easier now. Mine are 156cm (a bit on the short side for me but I like them) and barely hang over the back seat when put in the luggage compartment. Some people used to modify their planes for skis in the old days, by building in a sort of tube going way into the tail.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Whoops – I meant black run level

Well, black runs certainly exist but i personally know preciously few resorts which only consit of those. As I said, before I got married I skied in various places in Switzerland and only once encountered a black run. And while I was capable of doing it, I did not enjoy it very much. Red runs should be possible for most skiers, blue ones are “beginner’s” slopes but also cool for people who want to take it easy.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thanks, but although I have been skiing since I was four, I am far from being an expert skier.

I don‘t do off-piste, and I suck at poorly prepared pistes and „Buckelpisten“. But when it‘s well-prepared, I love a nicely steep run, and I like going really fast. I adore doing Saslong in one go, for example. A mix of red and black.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

RobertL18C wrote:

I used to amuse the Austrians with my vintage 200cm RC4s,

In my garage I keep my vintage 220cm Attenhofer downhill skis. I’d not dare to go as fast as I used to on the Stöckli Skis I have now (158 I think) We did not have GPS in the days so I never knew how fast I really was on those, but they were very stable on a smooth downhill slope. I really hope I can find skiboots which work with my damaged left foot again and I’ll definitly get both pairs of skis back to working order.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Emir wrote:

LSZS… Out of curiosity, what training do you need if you’re allowed to land without prior training?

My understanding is that the accidents did actually happen on departure so they now seem to allow people to fly in on their own, meet with a local instructor, do a local flight and its done. You should probably pass their online briefing in advance but that is no big deal.

LSZS is not a difficult airport. You have to know the terrain goes up between the airport and St. Moritz and slow climbing planes have to make a pattern to gain altitude first. That is about it.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

It’s the same at LIMW.

A C152 with 2 people, or a PA28-161 with 3-4 people, won’t be able to climb out of there from rwy 27, straight out towards Mt Blanc, then turn N to the UK, either. You have to depart 27, turn back east, turn back west, and keep doing that until you are at about 7000ft, then you can clear that 8000ft ridge discussed elsewhere.

The TB20 can do it with ~2000ft margin without any turnbacks. Climb rate is 1000fpm at MSL, 500fpm at 10k, 0fpm at 20k.

I don‘t do off-piste, and I suck at poorly prepared pistes

Me neither; all people who I know broke a leg did it off-piste. I also ski mostly in the mornings since, usually, the afternoons get too churned-up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Joining link is added to the first post.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

boscomantico wrote:

I adore doing Saslong in one go, for example. A mix of red and black.

As I read “Saslong” i have to add this picture quickly taken from my workplace:

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Lucky lucky Luke.

France
Sign in to add your message