Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid February 2022, and ski to somewhere near by

I think there’s a decent consensus here that none of us are expert skiers. @Peter I would stay away from ski forums ;-)

To my mind the key is probably going to one of the larger ski areas. If you go to a smaller ski area with relatively few runs, then it cannot easily cater for everyone. A smaller ski area which pitches itself towards ‘serious’ skiers naturally won’t have a lot of easy/medium runs. And let’s be honest, the main market in European skiing – the people who spend the most money year-in-year out – are expert compared to me.

I can ski black runs, but I don’t enjoy them unless they are well-groomed. My usual line, when asked what I can handle, is that I can get down anything but it won’t look good and I’ll want a beer afterwards. Given the choice I prefer reds and blues – I like going at a reasonable pace on slops that aren’t too steep.

My two favourites are the Espace Killy (Val d’Isere and Tignes) and Les Trois Vallees (Meribel, Courcheval and Val Thorens). Both have excellent lift infrastructure and so many runs of so many different types that no-one will get bored.

Of course the resort choice also needs a GA airport that’s workable. I would in theory like to join a trip, but being VFR-only outside the UK and the TB10 not really doing much above FL100 I prefer things on the French side of the Alps.

EGLM & EGTN

Discussion of accidents at Samedan etc moved here

The area is getting a ton of fresh snow in about a week’s time

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The area is getting a ton of fresh snow in about a week’s time

Yeah! I saw the forecast for following days and I hope it will stay like that with some CAVOK weekends in February.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Early forecast for the first weekend in February says the weather in Aosta area will be CAVOK with possibility of snow in Cervinia. So it might be a go but I still haven’t got any dates proposals – maybe 1st weekend is bit too early. However, the 2nd weekend might be a good choice – it’s just after my birthday and at least one drink at dinner for all participants will be on me. The 3rd weekend is also ok, weather permitting but I’d avoid last weekend in February because of Carnival holidays in Italy.

So, let’s hear: does anybody have any date preference?

Last Edited by Emir at 25 Jan 19:05
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

2nd weekend for me

Administrator

Peter wrote:

2nd weekend for me

Because of the free beer?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don’t drink [much] beer, so, better snow But I could be wrong. I am ok with either.

I wonder if @ormazad is still around.

Administrator

I wonder if @ormazad is still around.

Monterosa may be better ski location than Cervinia if you have a car. But looking on the map, it looks like several not connected valleys and resorts, unlike Cervinia which is practically fully connected. You can ski all day without repeating any slope if you don’t want – from Cervinia to Valtourneche and back to Zermatt and back. Plus the highest peeks are 3500 and 3800 m.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes indeed Cervinia is very hard to beat unless you are a hard core black run skier, or want lots of “non ski activities”.

I started only about 6 years ago and have done, roughly in order, Mutters, Axams, Filzmoos, Grand Bornand, Zell am See, Courchevel, Wengen, Zermatt, Madonna, Obertauern, Obergurgl, Cervinia, and maybe some others, and Cervinia stands out above all of those, with Madonna a second choice. Most of the others offer poor skiing, with often narrow unsafe runs.

The Matterhorn is just off to the right in this pic:

An email mailing is going out now so if you don’t get in by tomorrow (it is mailed with 60 sec gaps to avoid spam classification) check your forum preference for receiving emails.

Administrator

Emir wrote:

Monterosa may be better ski location than Cervinia if you have a car. But looking on the map, it looks like several not connected valleys and resorts

Ciao Emir, the three Monterosa’s valleys (Alagna, Gressoney and Champoluc) are connected via cablecar (unless strong wind) and slopes, so you can ski everywhere no matter where you start from.
But as Peter says, Cervinia is a middle-level skier paradise. In fact, once discovered, my wife wants to leave Courmayeur…

Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy
Sign in to add your message