Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY 27-30 April 2022

They chased me again for payment so I asked again if they will accept a CC over the phone, otherwise it will cost me a load in bank charges to pay them. I got this

We are very sorry.
There was a problem with our FIBU Software during the AERO 2022.
Please ignore the Invoice xxxxxxx.
There are no payments open.

which is exactly how it should be; if your IT system has bombed, you should not be subjecting customers to extra costs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Too obvious

We have this at work on our online shop. The problem is that today you get the crazy (and stupidly badly implemented) PCI-DSS “KGB” so one has to use a 3rd party processor. We use Paypal. Sometimes the payment fails, for unknown reasons. So setting up a website – basically an online shop – which should be rarely used because most pilots “go upstairs” and pay in person, is a bit of work. At today’s programmer rates, a good 5 digits.

Much easier to accept CC details over the phone – if you already have the CC process in place for personal visitors.

OTOH selling landings via an online shop would be a nice innovation. OTOH 99% of airports don’t see any point in attracting people to fly there. The fewer the better. Less work for everyone, and everyone still keeps their job, for ever

Administrator

Why not just a website?

EGTR

Sure, there is an “app” for everything. There must be an “app” for planting carrots at the right time of the year There are certainly enough “coders” writing apps; I get 2-3 emails per day offering to write an app for EuroGA!

But it is ridiculous to have to install yet another “app”. It is getting like town parking here; each town asks you to download a new parking pay app. This misery is spreading… Is it like this nonsense. Myhandling, etc.

I bet there are at least 100 “apps” just for town parking payments.

We have a very good system which everybody can use: a credit card. Why another app? Apps are a nightmare. They have to be maintained, updated at each new version of android or ios… eventually they all get abandoned and replaced with something else.

And if “you” have screwed up your IT system so people cannot pay you without going through some hassle, then “you” must accept to lose the money. That would be a normal ethical business procedure.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

so I have to set up a bank payment, which costs an extra 20-30 euros. What a stupid system, not accepting cards over the phone.

Perhaps I missed it, but why not use the Aerops app? The app needs work I agree, and I went to their booth to point out all the things that I found that need improving. They were not exactly used to this, but seemed to be listening and understanding.

Seems like a good idea in theory to be able to pay landing fees without having to find someone. In France, it’s very common to get them to send a bill, and the only way to pay is bank transfer. If Aerops or a competitor can come up with a solution, that would be great.

We have something called Twint in CH, linked to your bank, that can be used in a lot of places like car parking – seems like a perfect app for landing fees.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Emir wrote:

Depends from which country to which one and in which currency, what the fees are in your bank and what regulator allows them to charge you.

AFAIU banks can charge for SEPA transfers, but not more than they charge for domestic transfers. SEPA transfers are always in Euros.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LeSving wrote:

IMO giving away your credit card info on “open channels” is bad habit.

It is, but I think over the radio at an airport is the place with least worry. Don’t expect many scammers to listen in to radio traffic on the off-chance of getting a cc number.

Frans wrote:

Bank transfers via the SEPA system should be free of charge.

Depends from which country to which one and in which currency, what the fees are in your bank and what regulator allows them to charge you.

If I pay in EUR from Croatia to e.g. Germany or Slovenia, the transaction costs me €0.33. If I pay in SEK from Croatia to Sweden, the transaction costs me €10.57 which is 32 times(!) more. That’s without exchange fees – pure transaction fee. Until two years ago (IIRC September 1st 2019) these two transactions costed the same (you can guess it was €10.57) and then the regulator limited fees in Eurozone because Croatia started process of adopting Euro which will end by the end of this year.

Last Edited by Emir at 06 May 17:57
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ibra wrote:

In many countries, you can’t ‘pay by phone’ and lot of people who are not used to this tend to avoid it the same when they go to US and leave their cards with the ‘random guy’ in the restaurant, many prefer to use PIN and pay at the counter…

IMO giving away your credit card info on “open channels” is bad habit. Similar to spitting on the floor, which was common in the old days.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Frans wrote:

Bank transfers via the SEPA system should be free of charge.

Surprisingly, the UK still participates in SEPA. Of course there has to be a EUR/GBP exchange at the UK end.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
140 Posts
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message