Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Refueling in the Channel Islands

On a flight from Spain to Glasgow in my Mooney I intent to refuel in either EGJJ, EGJA or EGJB, I hope to get discounted fuel price compare to nearby France. Is there any place you would recommend? Tks.

JJ and JB are approx. 1,90€ atm. There is a small AOPA discount in that. JA is always about 30 cents more expensive.

On the fees, JJ and JA are about 25€. JB is about 50.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I fuelled last Sunday in Jersey EGJJ, I paid 1.57p/L with AOPA discount (1.65p/L without), it’s worth a lot of hours if you have 106USG long range Monroy tanks in your Mooney and you fly 55% cruise

If you are getting handling via Jersey Aeroclub (actually Synergy now), they charge 39p (25p+15p landing), you get 5p voucher per pax for restaurant though
Fuel is served now in stand 20 in front of commercial terminal not in the aeroclub grass parking, prices are here: https://atf.je/aviation/

If you go via GAMMA, you can get fuel on their ramp while stretching legs in the lounge, they charge 60pound handling for 1.3T

Avgas is 0.1p-0.2p more expensive in Guernsey & Alderney but they are worth a visit:
- Hard parking in Guersey, if your prop hates the grass
- No handling in Alderney, if your wallet hates hanlders

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Jun 11:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Do I understand correctly that if one takes handling via Gamma, one avoids the grass park, and the extra cost is only 21 GBP?

ELLX

Well 35p delta (60-25) on handling in addition to 14p for landing, if you ignore the restaurant voucher for every pax
PS: no handling by JAC/Synergy at night, I went via GAMMA once after 7pm

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Jun 11:57

I paid 1.57p/L

You mean £1.57/litre, or GBP 1.57/litre?

If you go via GAMMA, you can get fuel on their ramp while stretching legs in the lounge, they charge 60pound handling for 1.3T

Last time, a few years ago, GAMA were over £200 (TB20, 1400kg).

Airport reports can be found at the EuroGA airport database
https://airports.euroga.org/search.php?icao=egjj

Jersey is normally cheapest avgas. Does Jersey park one on grass if just refuelling?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Last time, a few years ago, GAMA were over £200

I paid more than that 5 years ago for an overnight (1986kg), in fact the bill from the upmarket Atlantic hotel and restaurant was less than I paid to Gama (no fuel).

Havnt been back since, BTW is the grass still in the same awful mess?

This database report says it is better than I said it was

Not sure what that exactly means, and it was a “guest” report so I can’t contact him/her.

The main issue was that the grass was sloping down towards the tarmac. OK if you can stop on the tarmac but 1 person would not have the muscle to push the plane onto the grass by hand. For your Jetprop with the big overhang on the front it would be positively dangerous. I haven’t been back because I’ve done Jersey on weekend breaks a few times and it isn’t my 1st choice for a day trip, whereas Guernsey and especially Alderney are.

But if refuelling (the topic here) maybe the grass is not relevant. Maybe somebody knows if one can get fuel while on tarmac. IME most refuelling is done on tarmac even if you are forced to park on grass afterwards, because the bowser wants to stay off grass, and most fuel pumps are on tarmac.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe somebody knows if one can get fuel while on tarmac

Actually it’s an obligatoire “taxi to stand 20” now, you can’t get fuel while parked on grass at JAC…

Also you can stop & fuel and depart without even going to Aeroclub or landside (only call to sort landing & handling by phone)

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Jun 16:43

Peter wrote:

For your Jetprop with the big overhang on the front it would be positively dangerous.

As you say I must have been bonkers to try to park there, but you dont know what you are getting yourself into until to get there and then its too late, have never tried it again so like Peter, I much prefer Guernsey and Alderney

This pic was 10 years ago so maybe its better now but havnt been back to find out.

31 Posts
Sign in to add your message