Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Northbound scenery…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I will not attempt to describe this part of the flight. It would be futile. Let’s just say that for a couple of hours I keep attacking them icebergs, choosing one for its peculiar shape or size, diving onto it then pulling up at the last second, circling them one way, the other way, looping and rolling above some others… almost impossible to resist, so I just keep frolicking around those melting giants

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Still, being a mere mortal, and my fuel reserves dwindling, I turn around and head back to Ilulissat…

Wikipedia excerpt: The city is home to almost as many sled-dogs as people. In direct translation, Ilulissat is the Kalaallisut word for “Icebergs” (Danish: Isbjerge). The nearby Ilulissat Icefjord is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and has made Ilulissat the most popular tourist destination in Greenland. The city neighbours the Ilulissat Icefjord, where there are enormous icebergs from the most productive glacier in the northern hemisphere.

Light winds, friendly people, mosquitoes, YLL has been put to sleep. Looking forward to spend next day watching icebergs drift by…

Last Edited by Dan at 26 Aug 16:41
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 7
Nix flying day

The expensive hotel has been a disappointment… from the room I was given only half of the bay and icebergs are visible, the other half covers the kitchen and dining room…
The day boat tour I had booked has been cancelled due to strong forecast winds. I resort to go for a 5 hour trek along the Ilulissat Icefjord. The city itself is bigger than anticipated, and has all of the attributes found in cities far North: colorful houses, big noisy “trucks”, plenty of toys such as boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, kayaks, etc, all in different condition, littering the space around individual houses.

Last Edited by Dan at 26 Aug 19:13
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

The hike is magnificient, the path being laid right next to the Ice Factory. Stupefying, imposing, and inspiring. Those white frozen giants are alive: they slowly move, they emit noises, sometimes akin to snoring, at other times sound like an avalanche when one is breaking apart and crumbles into the sea.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Back at the hotel, looking towards Canada…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

This is great! I like the amount of fuel used and think you were right to go solo.

LPFR, Poland

Dan wrote:

It is not intended as a motivational thread, nor as a reference to plan this kind of trip

I’m not sure you (not) hit the nail on that one Ever since I read about the red Falco of Bjørn Erksen crossing the Atlantic, winning an award at Oshkosh, the idea of crossing “the pond” never seem to go away in my head.

Of course, thinking about it and doing it are two different things. But the adventure never lessens. The act of doing it in a homebuilt aircraft is exactly as big today as it was 30 years ago. It is interesting to read how people think about it also. Mr Eriksen was a professional pilot in Widerøe with lots of experience (in larger planes). With his Falco he decided not to fly IFR, because he meant that IFR in a SEP all by itself was dangerous with the weather conditions and terrain in Norway (and the north Atlantic, Greenland, Iceland). He thought that IFR would more likely get him into trouble than it would get him out of trouble. This is a bit weird perhaps when keeping the route in mind, but I understand the sentiment just fine I think. The added safety is not IFR, but two powerful turbines that enables you to climb above the weather in no time (+ proper de-icing and pressurized cabin).

I wonder, how is your aircraft equipped, instruments, fuel etc?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I wonder, how is your aircraft equipped, instruments, fuel etc?

If I were to attempt the crossing, the aircraft will have an endurance of anywhere between 10 and 13 hours depending on fuel flow – which exceeds my bladder capacity by a factor of two (minimum), the aircraft is equipped with Dynon Skyview HDX and Garmin 695 as source for navigation, as well as SkyDemon on iPad / iPhone as backups….

EDL*, Germany
Sign in to add your message