Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Good news, as the pitot tube shakes off it’s ice full speed indications are recovered

The outside views are astounding

And I finally reach Kuujjuaq, situated close to the Hudson Strait

The wind favours the gravel runway, which is not a problem for YLL

This flight lasted just over 4 hours.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

What a cliffhanger… that transfer pump failure comes at the worst moment I guess.

Waiting for the next installment!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Kuujjuaq airport is not really used to SEPs… as they struggle to direct me to park, no tie downs of any sort available, and Avgas in barrels…

On the ramp

On the other hand, I am once more dealing with friendly and happy to help people. A barrel half full of “leftover” fuel is good enough fo tomorrow’s single sector, many thanks mister Fuel Man

But I have to again resort to my manual transfer procedure, wiggle, pour, wiggle, pour

Once I’m done, I remove the fuel transfer pump and take it to the Air Inuit maintenance shop. There it is pronounced dead due to seizure, and placed into the recycle bin.
Just as I get back to YLL, a heavy shower hits. I jump in and close the canopy. I now connect the fuel hoses in order to make a direct connection between the valve of the tank, and the quick disconnect of the fuel feed line.
Future operation will reveal that despite having the aux tank at a higher position than the wing tank (in flight), only about half of the contents can be transferred, even when applying physical pressure on the rubber tank. This means that a part of my emergency fuel is not available, and so I will have to be even more careful…

After shower mood

Last Edited by Dan at 07 Sep 20:34
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

The city of Kuujjuaq is an Inuit community.

I’m dropped at the Coop (…) hotel by the head of maintenance, thanks for the ride. I then find a restaurant, and then take a stroll thru the small city.
Yes, I’m now back in the “wild North”, quads driven by Inuit people going nowhere, stranded snowmobiles and sled dogs, “abandoned” boats. And not to forget my trusty companions, the mosquitoes.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 43
CYVP Kuujjuaq – CYFB Iqaluit

The walk to the airport is around 20 minutes.
I taxi out and take-off towards the northwest for the 3:30h flight, right on heading for my POI

As can be seen, the conditions are very good, and landscape… awe-inspiring

Any mere mortal pilot would find difficult to resist low flying that meandering river

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I then spot my POI, straight ahead!

Yes

Ref Wikipedia:
The Pingualuit Crater, formerly called the “Chubb Crater” and later the “New Quebec Crater”, is a relatively young impact crater located on the Ungava Peninsula in the administrative region of Nord-du-Québec, in Quebec, Canada. It is 3.44 km in diameter, and is estimated to be 1.4 ± 0.1 million years old.

The crater is as fascinating as I imagined it would. Not far from it, on the North side, there is a lake with some huts, and another inviting short runway… this time I resist and skip

I make several revolutions around Pingualuit Crater, bedazzled by its changing colors, its perfect round shape, like a pearl in its oyster but in reverse

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

After that visit I turn right, heading towards Iqaluit, the day’s destination.

Overflying an area which I supposed devoid of human presence, I spot a mining operation… man is definitely changing the face of the Planet…

Approaching the Hudson Strait

A rock close to Double Island

I’m happily crossing the Hudson Strait at some 3’000ft, when I spot the first icebergs. A few of them seem interesting in shape, and I perform an attack dive in order to check them out close. This manoeuvre gives the creeps to “Watchdog” Mickey, as he watches my progress live from his home in Europe… my InReach shows a near vertical descent, followed by a complete disappearance of the signal…
Luckily the InReach starts emitting again moments later
Thanks for your vigilance Mickey!

In good company

Last Edited by Dan at 07 Sep 21:47
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

It is whilst I’m playing jump iceberg that I realise not wearing my survival suit… what a stupid mistake of me! Whilst flight planning I had underestimated the width of the strait itself, but above all never thought I would be frolicking again… oh well, I’m just another human after all

Now reaching the northeastern shore of the strait

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

The weather is constantly changing, and rain showers appear as I approach Iqaluit, but nothing serious

No more showers by the time I enter the bay

Turning finals

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Nothing has changed here, but for the temperature which is now in a normal range of about 15°C.
I now know my way around, and taxi directly to the pump to be gratified once more by “leftovers” fuel. Thanks guys

After parking YLL I walk straight to the hotel, and enjoy the superb view out of the best room of the tour. There’s even a fireplace in a corner!

I then take a hike on the hill behind the hotel to enjoy the magnificent views on the city and surroundings

No comment

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message