Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

@Dan this is the most wonderful trip report – thank you so much for writing it up.

Would it be possible to get a few detailed photos of your panel please, close enough to see exactly what each item is? I’m building an RV-7 and your mix of ‘enough capable stuff but not cluttered up with every toy’ appeals to me.

Thanks

EGLM & EGTN

dutch_flyer wrote:

Let me know if you need any assistance. I have quite a bit of writing/editing experience.

Thanks for the offer dutch_flyer, but I’m more than half done on the “book” now. It will be finished with no ambition other than a cleaned up and enriched version of this very trip report.

PS
But I will contact you before starting on the next one

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Graham wrote:

‘enough capable stuff but not cluttered up with every toy’

The avionics list can be found in this post: Equipment

When I bought YLL, the 2005 panel was original VFR. I reworked the panel twice over the years, and spent some prime time laying on my back or side, below the instrument panel since its structure riveted as per plans… with the flap lever or one of the control stick wedged between my ribs or my vertebrae, and the throttle quadrant trying to poke a hole in my sternum

As you know, there are more opinions than pilots regarding the brand and all the avionic options… I designed the panel according my own needs, and around what was already installed…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

What’s the left thing below the COM?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Fuel quantity indicator

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

I designed the panel according my own needs, and around what was already installed…

What’s next for the panel? “That’s it!” or do you plan to install something else?
And what is your view on Autopilots in these types of a/c? I mean in general, not specifically for such a long flight!

EGTR

Thank you! And the other small circular instruments, to the right of the fuel quantity indicator and x2 to the left of the G5s?

EGLM & EGTN

arj1 wrote:

What’s next for the panel?

mmmh, nothing at the moment… been now flying about 1K hours with the present configuration, and it suits me perfect. As in IFR capable, all glass with purpose, 3 ADIs with battery back-up which means I was able to get rid of that compass (under national homebuilt rules), and having the G5s replicate the PFD I flew with before retirement. The array is light, efficient, and affordable (well, the GNX375 is not really cheap, is it )

arj1 wrote:

your view on Autopilots in these types of a/c?

Unnecessary in a properly built, and properly trimmed aircraft. Additional weight, complexity, and possible failures. Eventually useful are the autoland function now available on some systems in case of pilot incapacitation, and a lower workload/more precise flying in IMC.

Let me ask the questions:
What is an autopilot good for?
Are you eagerly awaiting the arrival of a drone that will fly you around?
Why are you flying?
Do you enjoy piloting, as in giving steering inputs and having an aircraft react to your commands?

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Graham wrote:

And the other small circular instruments, to the right of the fuel quantity indicator and x2 to the left of the G5s?

Mmmmh, those are the CO detector, and the PowerFlarm display…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Being late again but anyway: Thanks a lot for your report, Dan. I really enjoyed it. We did two NAT crossings (and back, of course) and reading this thread made me eager to start the next one right away. Are you really sure this was your first and last one?

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
Sign in to add your message