Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Aaaaaahhh Monument Valley

Been there c. 1990, on the ground only, and only in the mid-day baking sun, whereas you chose a much better time of day for those absolutely stunning photos.

You have an amazing talent for colour and composition.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You have an amazing talent for colour and composition.

Not sure, but the time of day and the settings sure do help
And yes, sunrise, or sunset, are magic moments for these kind of places.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Subdued by the sights, the light, and my state of elation, I can’t but spend a good time flying around the iconic sandstone buttes.
It must be the 3rd or 4th time I get to zig and zag around Monument Valley, but sure is a first in my own manoeuvrable steed, flying solo and therefore able to bank, turn, roll, and loop at will

And as was the case when playing between the icebergs in Greenland, I could spend the rest of my life in this firmament, dancing in between terrestrial stars…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

But, as a mere mortal in a mere flying contraption, I can’t but continue… the next POI is waiting, a short distance to the East

Shiprock itself, or in Navajo language: Tsé Bitʼaʼí, “rock with wings” or “winged rock” (ref Wiki)

On left base for Shiprock airstrip

Once more out in the boonies. Amidst playing some blues on the harp whilst the coffee water is coming to boil, a C172 comes in for a couple of T&Gs. It then lands, and the CFI and student come for a nice chat. You’re never alone out there

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 08:17
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Awe inspiring images Dan…
Those shots of Monument Valley and the area around Page are just… wow

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

After take-off the heading is northeasterly… towards yet another POI, and amidst some amazing landscape

Some of the stuff I spot from my cruising altitude sure requires closer inspection, so, let’s dive for it

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 08:18
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

As I’m approaching Colorado, the background, once more, changes. The inherently dry terrain gives way to green grassland and meadows, pine tree forest try to get a grip on altitude and steep mountains.

And getting closer to my destination discloses the mining popularity of the region

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

The approach and landing on the Lake County airport, aka Leadville, is easy. Leadville-Lake County airport is the highest in the US, the elevation being 9’934ft…

One doesn’t see this kind of density altitude everyday… but the runway is more than long

As a reward for the fantastic view, welcome, and service, every pilot flying in gets this certificate (yes, to protect what remains of my privacy I digitally removed my surname )

Going direct from Furnace Creek, the US lowest, to Leadville-Lake County the US highest, is interestingly enough a relatively short distance, and would have taken only about 3:30h at RV-6.9 speed. In the planning stages I thought about it, but also did’nt want to miss those POIs in between

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 07:24
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Refueling done, and in view of the menacing build-ups, I enquire about the availibility of hangar space for the 2 days I will be spending here.
YLL is then tucked into the big hangar in company of a couple of spam cans for the next 2 days…

And an interesting license plate

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Shiprock itself, or in Navajo language: Tsé Bitʼaʼí, “rock with wings” or “winged rock” (ref Wiki)

My family on my mother’s side is from Farmington (very close to Shiprock). That really is a beautiful spot.

EHRD, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message