Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Day 24
Niente volare oggi

Yesterday’s hike from the airport to my hotel took the better part of 2 hours… but thanks to the perfect weather was very enjoyable
Leadville was, and still is a mining town. Gold lead (pun intended) to silver, which in turn lead (oh no, not again ) to today’s molybdenum, the stuff used to harden steel, production.
The main mine is now quite far away from the city center, which retains the colorful style of buildings used during the gold rush.

Program of the day: Hiking, a visit to the National Mining Museum and Hall of Fame, barber, and taking a trip on board the Leadville Railroad.

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 08:29
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Great photos again, I think an airplane is the best way to see the mountain southwest US

Many moons ago on a family trip (on the ground) we found a hot. dehydrated puppy walking down the road on its own in New Mexico. Probably ‘misplaced’ by the locals, or who knows what. We took it home, named it Shiprock because that was the closest landmark, and had it for another 15 years.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Sep 14:12

Hi guys, and apologies…
Guess a couple people are following this thread.. and it’s kinda on hold. Well, it really ain’t
I will continue, and finish this thread.

There’s being a lotta going on these last WEs… went to the RV flying in Glenforsa, Scotland, including 2 sorties with RV friends to the beach strip of Sollas (rates amongst, if not THE top in EU, pity yourself if not been or going there…) a week ago…
This WE went to the LAA Grass Roots Fly-in at Pop Ham ( ), weather was perfect, the rest… no comment
Next WE formation clinic at Trento, IT. Just going for the the Sat eve meet…

Gimme some time, and I’l be back… this week for more

Last Edited by Dan at 04 Sep 20:02
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 25
KLXV Lake County – KBDU Boulder Muni – 33U Dutch John

Today I’m dropped at the airport by father/son team who were staying at the same hotel, and took pity in me, thanks for the ride guys!
As most of you know, getting around without a car in the US, can be challenging. Even cities like this one provide no, or only limited taxi service, and public transport is usually non-existent. Also airport courtesy cars are not always available. So I ended doing quite some walking on the trip, which I don’t mind.

Today’s density altitude reads 11’700ft with an OAT of 18°C. I use high elevation take-off leaning procedure, and YLL’s O-360 engine still produces 20.3" @ 2670 RPM = 69% power. The take-off is longer than usual, but rather anticlimactic

After take-off I get a nice view of the still in use Climax mine

Used to the aggressive and sharp edges of the Alps, most of the Colorado mountains have rounded off shaped summits. Flying above them one feels lower than one really is…

My northeasterly course takes me just West of Denver, and then into Boulder CO. I had previously made contact with Dave, located in Boulder, thru VAF, the Vans Airforce Net. He is building an RV-3, and having built an RV-4 myself, I was curious to have a look.

Approaching Boulder, a view towards Denver

I find the airport of Boulder quite busy, sailplanes and school airplanes all over the place

Dave’s RV-3 project

Last Edited by Dan at 05 Sep 21:31
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

After a pleasant visit to “inspect” Dave’s future joy, I’m back at the airport for yet another take-off.

I’m now heading towards Dutch John, Utah. To visit yet another RVer, VAF famous Vlad. He has done numerous interesting trips, amongst them one to Russia and back, and visited many of the more difficult strips in the US. All in his famous RV-9A, accumulating short of 5’000 hours in the process, all on the same original engine… which he is replacing with a new one as I type these words…

Flying northwest, the terrain again changes, irrigated parts retaining green foliage around them, but interspersed by more and more braun barren landscape. The flight lasts only 1:29h, and I’m quickly reaching my destination.

Last Edited by Dan at 05 Sep 21:46
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Vlad’s screenshot as I fly thru some rainshowers approaching the field

The Green River, and in the upper right of the shot, Dutch John and the airport

Briefing sheet excerpt

33U

Vlad was eagerly wating my arrival, and took plenty of shots of my approach, here on finals for runway 29 @ 33U

Vlad’s home and RV-9A

Taking advantage of Vlad’s great sense of hospitality, I’ll be spending 3 nites at his place…

Last Edited by Dan at 05 Sep 21:50
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 26
Pas de vol aujourd’hu

Operating off dusty runways takes its toll, and as a result the ground steering of YLL has become difficult, as the tailwheel does’nt disengage as usual. So YLL’s tailwheel fork is in need of a service.

The tailwheel fork is cleaned and re-greased in a short time and all is good until next time

I then taxi on the road leading back to the airport from Vlad’s place, luckily there ain’t too much traffic

The rest of the day is spent visiting Dutch John and the Flaming Gorge Recreation Area. Dutch John is a small village, but there are plenty of possible outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing fly, boating, kayaking, etc.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Another activity, for those in the known, is mushroom picking

Vlad is the perfect host, even acts as a cook (that’s a knife )

Dutch John city…

And a couple of sunset impressions…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 27
33U Dutch John – 33U Dutch Joh

Today is the arrival of Vlad’s good friend John, a retired airline pilot and A&P in his RV-9, and Vlad and myself take-off for an in-flight reception over Naples, South of Dutch John…

The day goes by quickly, the afternoon being mostly consumed by the 6 mile hike to Flaming Gorge Dam, along the Green River.

A very scenic hike indeed

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 06:46
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 28
33U Dutch John – KVEL Vernal – classified – 33U Dutch John

Early rise today, as I want to get the engine driven pump replaced before being sunburnt… the pump, which thanks to clever engineering is very accessible, helped by some advice from John and a lot of internal and external swearing by myself, is replaced in a couple of hours. Short run-up, all is a ok

Johns decides to stay put at Vlad’s, whilst we first go to refuel at Vernal, a city 30NM South of Dutch John.

The city and airport of Vernal

After take-off we engage in spectacular classified flying, followed by a strip landing on a road. A short stroll then takes us to the Flaming Gorge Reservoir, and we take a refreshing dip in the pristine and crystal-clear water. I really do love this place

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message