Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

The delta, and entrance into the Mississipi river make for mesmerizing sights

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I finally reach my destination Lakefront. The medium sized field is in a very scenic location, bordering Lake Pontchartrain, and is quite busy.
Thunderstorms being on the agenda, YLL is put to rest in the big FBO’s hangar. A wise decision…

Oh, what a cute little airplane exclaims one of the FBO’s lady upon sighting my aircraft. YLL can’t help it but to blush somewhat

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

When the taxi drops me off in front of the motel in the neighborhood of the airport, I immediately realise my mistake. Far from anything but questionable surroundings, I now understand the reason of the low price
Mother Luck is thankfully around as I’m able to cancel the 2 nite booking, and re-board the taxi who has been observing my whereabouts, already concerned by my safety…

I’m now driven to, and happy to check-in in a completely different type of hotel, in a self-catered flat comprising all comfort, and nicely located in the centre.

My early arrival gives me time to perform a reconnaissance tour of the old part of the city… mitigated first impressions as nauseous smells reach my senses, an abundance of homeless people in different states of despair are seen begging or just laying on the curbs… on the other hand, the music, the delicious food, the historic atmosphere, and the fascinating architecture.

Wikipedia quote: Housing styles include the shotgun house and the bungalow style. Creole cottages and townhouses, notable for their large courtyards and intricate iron balconies, line the streets of the French Quarter. American townhouses, double-gallery houses, and Raised Center-Hall Cottages are notable. St. Charles Avenue is famed for its large antebellum homes. Its mansions are in various styles, such as Greek Revival, American Colonial and the Victorian styles of Queen Anne and Italianate architecture. New Orleans is also noted for its large, European-style Catholic cemeteries.

Late evening view from the terrace on the 20th or so floor of the hotel

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 11:46
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Day 31
dnes žádná moucha

The mighty Mississipi

Today is swamp excursion day… too touristic for my liking, but an interesting excursion nevertheless…
A bus picks us up on the shore of the Mississipi, and some 40 minutes drive later we are transferred onto the tour’s flat boats at the Slidell LA site. Fascinating ride thru the swamps, though not sure about the wildlife authenticity of alligators coming by the boat when attracted by the sound of marshmallows hitting the surface of the water

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 12:28
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Later, the afternoon is again spent marvelling at the good things the city has to offer…

Ready for the next one?

Just about to get out of the hotel after a quick change, when I spot a huge thunderstorm brewing it’s way towards the city. As I get onto the terrace for some pictures, torrential rain and wind gusts hit… really happy thinking of YLL quietly at rest in the hangar

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 12:35
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan, reports and pictures, as well as this whole adventure are extraordinary. Thanks a lot for posting it!

LFMD, France

My pleasure Greg.
I myself take a lot of pleasure at reading trip reports, and now giving something in return makes me happy. I hope some of you are able to join along and enjoy this trip as well

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I would love it, not sure I would do as much, but I would start by building my own plane which is impossible where I’m living (people are struggling to home an UL), rdv in 10 years :/.

LFMD, France

Day 32
KNEW Lakefront – KJBR Jonesboro Muni – KEFT Monroe Muni – KOSH Wittman

Oshkosh is now the next POI on my list. Depending on one’s need for an adrelanin rush, or not, the arrival date and time is better set some time in advance… the AirVenture, as it has been called since a few years now, officially starts on Monday of the last week of July, and lasts until the next Sunday.

In part thanks for staff ticketing, I’ve attended the show a few times by now. Starting 1986, some 10 years in a row… then spacing my visit some, as the show wasn’t fulfilling my expectations no more.
I’m not 100% sure of my count, but think this year’s will be my 17th visit there. I’ve never flown in during the show, but landed at KOSH during another trip to Maine in a Saratoga… on the other hand, I have flown in/out, as a passenger, on more than one occasion during the show, with friends or demo pilots.

The famous NOTAM, called NOTICE this year, states: Special Flight Procedures effective Noon CDT July 21 to 6:00 AM CDT Aug 1, 2022

To avoid the big rush and the above mentioned unnecessary adrenalin rush, I had initially planned a Friday 22nd arrival. Talking to some experienced visitors during my stay at Johnson Creek convinced me to advance my arrival by one day, e.g. on Thursday 21st.

Sunrise on the eastern shore of Lake Pontchartrain

I feel being on the flight home today, as my heading is almost due North

And again with the Mississippi River, and Moon Lake, SW of Memphis

Approaching Jonesboro Muni

After landing at Jonesboro Muni, I proceed to the pump, and get gassed up. A pick-up car arrives drives by and stops. Gentleman gets off “you’ve flown all over from Switzerland? I was in Geneva last week to pick up a business jet! Have a good trip!” and then drives off some 30 seconds later…
A very neat FBO greets me. Coffee, snacks, friendly people. Pulling my card for payment is met by a refusal: “oh no, fuel has been taken care of by the FBO owner”. Thanks George, gesture sure appreciated

Publicity pose

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 13:40
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I continue North, passing East of St Louis and over Peoria.
And suddenly abeam Chicago before landing at Monroe Muni for fuel, and a last weather check (trying also to guess the runway in use…).

Here I once more realise how small the world, including the US, is. The first sector took 2:23h, the second 3:04. At reduced power settings, and some headwinds. And now I’m already in what I label as northern US, having come from the South! Moving at a steady pace, with no traffic lights nor other obstructions, one certainly gets going

Monroe Muni

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 14:03
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message