Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Really amazing story. I also enjoyed every word and photo. You have a gift for this beyond just the flying. You should turn your adventure into a coffee table book!

Also another part of this story I would be very interested in hearing is about the logistics. I have long dreamed (as I’m sure many here have) of making such a journey one day, and as I love the planning part of flying I would probably try to do as much myself as possible.

EHRD, Netherlands

@Dan please don’t feel depressed. Despite all your great photos on this trip, the best photo I have seen from you was not taken on this trip but one in the Alps. It is a picture of the clouds blowing up and across a mountain peak. This image should be on every pilots wall.🙂

France

Thanks a million for sharing this superb adventure. I admire your photographic and prose skills! See you soon over here where we can interrogate you a bit more.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Fantastic trip report, this is really the trip of a lifetime! I’m sure it will inspire others to go on the trip they’ve been dreaming of.
Myself, I’ll probably never have the plane, time, money and balls to go across the Atlantic, but one can still dream :-)

I also fly at LSZF, maybe I’ll bump into you someday just to say hi, and to have a closer look at that fast & sexy plane!

LSZF,LSZK, Switzerland

Absolutely amazing trip, amazing report, amazing pictures. Thank you Dan. Also thank you Peter for creating a place where we can share these wonders.

EGTF, LFTF

An amazing idea for a trip, with the best write up I have ever read, including the best photos.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

This was the mother of all trips for me !

The one things I found with many long 500nm distance trips is they all have the same boring concrete terminal with handling agents and few talks about flight plan routings and how to get clearances being the biggest gig of the day

In this report I see lot of zigzag, grass, pavement, maintenance, surprises and many faces between many 50nm legs here and there all surrounded by an astonishing beauty

When the book is coming?

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Sep 18:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Hey guys, you’re all very nice, and that is one of the reasons I’m here on EuroGA!!!

I will try, as good as I can, to answer specific queries about The Tour, just remember, no politics, no sex, no religion

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

What a fantastic writeup on a fantastic trip. Thank you so much for posting it!

Thanks for the compliment Peter.
The writeup was a pleasure, as it gave me the opportunity to relive some of the stuff I’ve been through…

As someone else wrote, thanks to you Peter for providing, and managing this platform so well. I choose EuroGA to publish this account for this very reason, but also because the tone of the entire forum, as given by its many members, is very civilised and respectful of one another.

Last Edited by Dan at 09 Sep 19:49
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

And the photos were just amazing. How did you do it!?

Technical aspect:
As stated somewhere else in the thread, all photos were taken using my stupid smart iPhone Mini 12 with an anti-reflective lens hood, or whatever it’s called. Provided the hood is making contact with the canopy, the solution is cheap and works pretty good.

Now remember, what you are looking at here are lores, typical 925×693 pixels, unless adjusted for height, pictures. Best size for this site. The original picture has 4032×3024 resolution in a HEIC format. Most airborne shots were slight adjusted to reduce brightness, as they were a touch too bright.. no color enhancement, just a touch of contrast on some of them.
Activate the horizon guides in the camera if you have them.

Emotional aspect:
The rest… well, is provided by nature. The colors, variety, landscape, settings, atmospheres, were all automatically provided whilst flying over mostly amazing landscape. Look outside, analyse, realise, breathe in and breathe out, decide if it’s worth pulling the camera out, position yourself (just switch the stupid AP off should you have one of those contraption installed… now you are a bird, free. But please don’t fly into the cumulus granitus or any other terrestrial feature…), give it enough bank to get rid of any wing intrusion, follow the horizon guides if available, verify target focus, and shoot… shoot again. Maybe once more.

Technical aspect #2:
The focussing of any camera takes time, give it a chance. As one is flying, the angle of the shot changes constantly, and is another reason to take multiple shots. Perform a 360 if required.

Last Edited by Dan at 09 Sep 19:51
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message