Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Perhaps you should consider an “ask me anything” thread related to your trip

Well, I basically finished my story telling, so we can continue on this thread. Anybody can sure “ask me anything”, which doesn’t necessarily mean that will answer some details…

“cloud break procedure”

Is basically a procedure when a flight under IFR rules is taken through a cloud layer in order to make visual contact with the airport, at which point the flight continues visually to the landing… (getting my shields out for the incoming corrections, explanations, legal references, etc )

In my case, being on a VFR flight plan meant joining IFR as in asking, getting, and following an ATC clearance.

Last Edited by Dan at 10 Sep 13:41
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

That’s great idea A lot of Dan’s photos are absolutely calendar grade.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some ferry pilots recommend kayak gear instead of Mr Blobby immersion suits

Yep, RVs having a propensity to flip when ditched, I was not wearing one of those neoprene « Frankenstein » as some call them, but a survival suit made by Typhoon, which is basically a reinforced dry suit.

Along the same idea, a scuba emergency air bottle, an egress saw, a survival axe, a non self inflating life vest, a dry bag containing diverse survival stuff (mirror, portable VHF, matches, etc, etc), and my single person life raft (ISPLR from Switlik) were carried along. I also modified my canopy with quick release pins…

A tour like this should be more than improvised…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

This will then be printed as a pdf, and then be downloadable from my very website, aerofun

I will be a customer! And if you want or need some printed copies in book format, let me know, I got some contacts who can do this very nicely.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thanks @Mooney_Driver.
No need for printed material for myself. One of the principles I’m trying to abide to, is to produce as little waste as possible… and I sure don’t intend to compete for any kind of bestsellers award

The Tour was my own egoistical impulse for fulfilling my old dream. It was never meant as a cash cow. The older I get the more I realise how futile money is…
At the risk (…) of repeating myself: “I might set up a donation box to some charity or environmental organisation, but would like to keep the publication free”. And this is what I’ll do when the coffee table version is done… gimme a few weeks time (just back from visiting my friends at the formation flying clinic in Trento, WE preceding was the LAA Grass Root fly-in at Popham, the one before was the Glenforsa RV fly-in, and so on… luckily there’s basically only one left )

If anyone of you guys is willing to pursue this calendar idea, sure… but there’s quite some work involved, and I will not do it… though sure I’m willing to share the necessary pictures as requested and in the required resolution

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Can’t say enough about those beautiful photos, Dan! I just picked up one of those glare hoods for the iphone, and I’m looking forward to trying it when I finish my 100 hr inspection this week. Thanks for sharing the story – such an awesome adventure!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@Dan – phenomenal trip. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. As much as I aspire to be a better pilot, I wonder if I will ever make any trip of his magnitude. I feel like I’ve now been on 5 trips just by reading and following along. So incredible, thank you.

I’m curious about the NAT crossing details. Do you have any tips for flight prep for ATC coordination and checkpoints?
I’ve been trying to read up on it to understand all of the details, but admit that without experience I’m not entirely certain what would await.

I wish the whole world could somehow see the mountains of Eastern Greenland (without making an impact). Absolutely some of the most stunning landscape on earth.

My only feedback would be, that if you start a fundraiser based on proceeds raised by your pictures or story, that they go to younger pilots who don’t have the money to fly.
I try all the time to encourage people and tell them they can do this! But so many longingly look at the sky but can’t do anything because their pocketbooks don’t match their eyes.

Thanks again, incredible images and a fantastic journey.

Dan wrote:

If anyone of you guys is willing to pursue this calendar idea, sure… but there’s quite some work involved, and I will not do it… though sure I’m willing to share the necessary pictures as requested and in the required resolution

There are lots of web sites selling personalised calendars so if you are willing to supply pictures, then it’s easy to order one.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

For those intending to possibly fly over themselves by GA in coming years: worth keeping an eye on the evolvement of the Canadian ADSB-requirements. These could possibly make this difficult after 10/08/2023, with NavCanada imposing antenna diversity installations for ADSB, which virtually no aircraft in the SEP or MEP segment have. Without this, one won’t be able to access class A and B aispace, and AIUI, there is a lot of class B above 12000 feet on the Canadian routings.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

with NavCanada imposing antenna diversity installations for ADSB,

Do you know what the rationale for that decision is?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message