Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA Airport Kavala / Lydia LGKM in northern Greece by Egnatia Aviation

WEBSITE
https://lgkm.aero/

Kavala Amigdhaleon LGKM now renamed “Lydia” was an old military (non combat) airfield in hibernation for years. https://egnatia-aviation.aero made a big investment and acquired the airfield from the Army aviation transforming it into a Commercial Pilot Training Center. So nowadays it will be a Private investment Commercial Pilots academy airport and the operator welcomes General Aviation aircraft visitors. It is the airfield just west of Fraport Kavala LGKV.

The effective date of the AIP amendment is the 29th of December 2022 and flights will be accepted a bit later. Till then there will be a lot of news and everything will be announced at the official site.

Last Edited by petakas at 20 Nov 20:28
LGMG Megara, Greece

Thats fantastic news Petakas. Congratulations to all involved.

Any chance it might get customs and immigration in the future too?

Paul

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

From Greek FB: there will be AVGAS, JET A1 and MOGAS available. Our target is to have everything up and running by Summer.

This sounds quite amazing.

It is also a great place to do a Euro IR. In 2011 I nearly went to Egnatia to do my FAA IR to JAA IR conversion but in the end I did it back here in the UK because an opportunity opened up briefly (an FTO was willing to train in my TB20, but they packed up a few months later, plus their examiner was “very difficult”). I would have loved doing it in Greece (I’ve been to LGKV a few times and stayed in the area, including Thassos and Samothraki) and I can tell you it beats the UK anytime It would have been in a DA42 so I would have come out with an SEIR and MEIR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you @petakas , some good news from Greece finally. Now, surely you are aware that you just volunteered to organize the next EuroGA fly-in?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Now, surely you are aware that you just volunteered to organize the next EuroGA fly-in?

Ooops ! me ? when ? No idea

I’m sure when LGKM Lydia will be up and running the fellow Greeks will set up stuff in that airport.
It shall be the first private true GA airport in Greece with sensible fees and no hassle involved.

a.f.a.i.k. their target for GA (apart from being an aviation training organization) is for it to become a one-stop-shop for all GA coming/leaving Greece from abroad.

LGMG Megara, Greece

petakas wrote:

That would be incredible!

And Peter

Its only 50 miles to Falakro Ski resort. http://www.falakro.gr

It tops out at 2,200 m, plenty of snow I imagine. And pretty cheap too.

New EuroGA ski destination.

It would be great to have an entry point for Greece which is better than LGIO, whose avgas is unreliable and which is quite wx sensitive due to terrain.

That ski place looks good too I didn’t know Greece had any actual ski resorts i.e. places with lifts etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

petakas wrote:

a.f.a.i.k. their target for GA (apart from being an aviation training organization) is for it to become a one-stop-shop for all GA coming/leaving Greece from abroad.

That would be great and is sorely needed.

Unless of course Greece finally honors it’s EU and Schengen memberships fully and stops demanding customs for flights from and to the EU and force everyone onto an AoE. That would also make some other airports quite feasible which lack the AoE privileges.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Have been thinking about this new airfield a bit more.

Lydia is going to be a real game changer for visiting the Greek Islands. All the island airports in the Aegean with strange and very restricted opening hours become MUCH more accessible. Coming from anywhere in Europe – refuel in Croatia/Serbia etc. Arrive in Greece at Lydia even late in the day or evening and spend the night there (plenty of hotels by the looks). The following day you can time your departure from Lydia to the Aegean Island to suit their strange hours. Even the furthest Aegean Island (Rhodes?) is just over 300nm.

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message