Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY 19-22 April 2023

The year has gone by very fast

Their email doesn’t say when the famous landing slot booking site will open.

EDIT: Telegram group joining link for those who would like to meet up there https://t.me/+6GNsspgiCjY2ODk0

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Their email doesn’t say when the famous landing slot booking site will open.

Few weeks before the event and then it will crash and then it will be restarted week later and then you won’t be able to get slot… you know usual staff

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Various nice fields not too far away.. Save yourselves the aggravation

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

In recent years it has been OK, IF you managed to get a landing slot. The inability to get these recently was an absolute disgrace but the organisers still get their money because the exhibitors drive, not fly… You need to set yourself an alarm to wake up when the booking site opens.

It remains a very good meet-up, fairly central in Europe so lots of people can get there, we have a good group dinner, and the great thing is that nobody has to organise it

Administrator

You wouldn’t believe the FIASCO that took place last year.

always learning
LO__, Austria

You mean the slot booking? IIRC that failed for many people.

It would be a good idea for as many as possible to write to the organisers and tell them. They do read emails. They may not have set up the airport slot booking system but they can feed their input into it.

The basic problem is that the airport does not like the show there. But it works a lot better than years ago, when many struggled, forced to park on tall grass and then needing a fire engine to pull them off. Then long queues on departure. All this is much better, although probably to a large extent due to the reduced attendance since the show went to annual frequency.

Administrator

I had no problem in 2022 – I landed the day before the slot system started, and then booked the first slot 2 days later when I left. I think I departed at about 0600 local, which was beautiful. My destination airport only opened at 0800 so I was “forced” to do a bit more sunrise flying, which was awesome.

The only problem was that I left so early I couldn’t even get a cup of coffee anywhere!

I hope to fly in again this year, slots permitting. I found it to be a good experience, although it would be great if they just did it like Oshkosh and had a conga line over the lake, first come, first served, and allowed us to park next to the show. Then people could go in and out the same day. One can dream…

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

It is always a great meetup for 10-20 of us, and doubles as a “German fly-in”.

Administrator

The main “fiasco” was not that of the slots, but that of the terrible ground “handling” and delays. That’s what Snoopy is referring to.

After the show, the exhibition company promised that they will improve on it, but I am confident they will cite the holy “security” angle again to justify any brainless procedure applied.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Been there a few times with my airplane… last time in 2011, all day trips since I’m only like 35’ flight away. The first few years 2nd hand aircraft were offered for sale, there was an airshow, passenger flights on rotary or airship, etc.
Then most of this stuff was removed, and what remained are the repetitive exhibitor stalls. Boring stuff really, the more so if not on a mission to buy something or find something special.

Looking at the online aviation offerings, goods and information, it is surprising that a fair like this survives at all… I’m still amazed at the willingness of people to pay (€32, or 1/2+ hour fuel with my steed ) to be able to spend money.

Peter wrote:

It is always a great meetup for 10-20 of us, and doubles as a “German fly-in”.

I might attend in 2023, but the trip would be by train and boat across the lake as I did last time, so I won’t rob anyone here of his slot… and of course, the main reason would be to meet you guys at the dinner

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
152 Posts
Sign in to add your message