Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Preparing a trip to Sarajevo LQSA

I am planning a trip to LQSA from Athens next week.
I contacted LQSA to get a slot but I was informed that my scheduled arrival (1000z) was not acceptable because of lack of parking. They however offered a later time in the afternoon but I wasn’t comfortable flying to a possible alternate so close to sunset. So, I informed them that I could not accept their proposal and asked for a slot earlier than 1000z.
To my surprise,They called me ! and told me that they could not accomodate my request because of some work being done on the Apron. I explained the reason for my refusal of their late afternoon offer and the gentleman said he would see what he could do.
I got a confirmation today that they will accomodate my request because they arranged for a remote parking.
I have had so many refusals from airports in italy (firenze, napoli etc) without appeal, that I thought the attitude of Sarajevo operations people deserved a “bravo”.

Now, they don’t have 100LL. I could fly to Brac on my way back to Italy, but I was wondering if a local aeroclub or some private party could have some Avgas ?

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Indeed, the parking topic has become the biggest problem for GA travel into bigger airports over the last few years. Bigger even than the fees.
As you know, Italy is really difficult.

They seem to think that GA is only about dropping people off from a jet or a PC12 and then leaving again an hour later. GA as personal means of travel is not much on their scope. And they paint 4 parking positions (made for Gulfstreams) on the apron and then that is what they have. Oh. of course of them them must be kept free for Medevac, the other for the president, and third one for “good friends”. Biarritz is such a case.

LQSA indeed is a bit short of parking surface, plus they do have work NOTAMed. But as you say, in many places, it pays off to call by phone and insist a bit. But it’s always a hassle and it becomes impossible to plan a trip properly.

P.S. I have never heard about any aeroclub activity at LQSA, and even less of any 100LL that they use. If anything, @Emir might know.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Feb 13:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

aquila wrote:

Now, they don’t have 100LL. I could fly to Brac on my way back to Italy, but I was wondering if a local aeroclub or some private party could have some Avgas ?

It’s very hard to organize because local aeroclub doesn’t operate from LQSA. I know few people fly gyrocopters from LQSA but I doubt they bring and refuel Mogas there.

One option would be to prearrange fuel at LQVI and fly there which is not recommendable in winter conditions (after recent snow I doubt that’s even possible to land there – 720m grass field). The other option would be to prearrange fuel in the drum at LQSA but I believe it’s too complicated having in mind all security measures introduced last 10 years.

Brac is your best option.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Paging @ermajn please pick up the white courtesy phone

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hello, as LQSA is partially my home-base I can confirm that there is construction on extending a apron and during the work… it is a struggle to get a slot.

LQSA offers no AVGAS, only MOGAS officially.
Aeroclub no operate there, closest one is LQVI, but atm grass airfield is under snow so… no way to land there.
Option could be a LQCG, that is 700m concrete runway, and aeroclub there could have some AVGAS, if that is option for you I can ask.
If you go to the LQCG, than you could leave country via LQTZ, that is just few miles away and have border control.

Let me know if I can help anyhow.

LQVI,LJMB

Now that I read that you want to fly off to Italy, Brač seems to be most reasonable solution regarding fuel.

LQVI,LJMB

Many thanks to all. It looks that Brac is the best option for refueling.
I hope the weather gets better in Sarajevo next week!

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Brac’s all-female airport crew is the best in Europe Say Hello to Anna Hero

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

According to recent changes in AIP, LQSA has mogas. However, it’s worth of checking before going there. Anyhow, it’s PPR with slot request, so you have to contact airport and you just add one more question on fuel availability.

BTW LQSA has some new AIP plates (STAR and RNP approach) that are nice and usable unlike the rest of their AIP plates which kind of ugly and not so user friendly comparing to Jepp plates.

What’s interesting that RNP approach doesn’t specify OCA for class A and B aircraft and Jepp plate specifically says it’s only for C and D aircraft. How much sense does it make?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message