Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Germany to South Africa in a Cirrus SR22

Great report and great photos… one can imagine being there. Thanks

Many of you asking for the cost involved —

AVGAS is between 2,70 USD (Mozambique), around 3,00 USD in South Africa, 4,50 USD (Egypt/Loki), and 7,50 USD (Khartum).
AVGAS availability is a challenge in Egypt, Sudan and Loki. It is much easier in Wilson, Zanzibar, Mozambique and of course in South Africa.
Handling + airport fees never exceeded 750 USD (Khartum). Landing permits are between 50-100 USD.

With these information you might be able to get a good cost estimation.

EDMA

@terbang – the pump was a cheap “ticky-tacky” manual fuel pump that fit on the AVGAS drum – bought from Jeff (Bezos).
We left it in Loki… For the flight back we will buy a better one.

EDMA

@Manitu can you share some total performance stats like total flown track NM , total fuel used, total flight time…

Thx for sharing!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio
sorry I cannot give you a 100% correct answer. We have not logged the flights in Garmin.

Approximations – and I hope this is useful to you…

Distance 5.800NM
Flight time 35h
Total fuel 550 gallons

EDMA

Awesome trip and great report. Very inspiring. Thanks.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

A great trip apart from the storm cell near Lanceria. I landed at Loki a few years ago to find the non notammed reduced length runway with work actively going on to repair the closed off section and was told that this work would be completed “soon” (on two previous visits, the full length was available). Like Manitu, this caused take off issues with a full load – 428 litres – of fuel going north to Khartoum. We were staying overnight at nearby Camp 748 so arranged to take off at 7 am next day just before the MAFF planes got going with an OAT of around 22ºC – ok but I would not have wanted to depart in the afternoon heat.

EGNC, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message