Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly in to Spain - La Cerdanya LECD 29 Sep 2023

Peter wrote:

An interesting site which seems to focus many mirrors onto the top of a tower. I recall reading about this many years ago; they were renting it out for thermal shock testing of materials. Or maybe it was a solar power station?

It is this solar power plant.

Not far from there is the more spectacular Odeillo solar furnace, which is used for thermal chocks.

ESMK, Sweden

It’s called Son Alberti. You can find it in Skydemon, south of the LEPA CTR. It has several codes, but the owner forgot which is the correct one. He’s more into expert flying than into burocracy More important than coding, it appears in Garmin navigators as ‘Son1’. Anyone, please don’t just go there, get in touch with me first.

Looks like we have some interest in another fly-in to Spain then, and let’s stick to LECN or LEAP. I’ll start a new thread.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

3. Come to ‘my’ field!

sorry for the stupid question, which one is your field?
I would be happy to join if given a chance.

Poland

Sounds all good!

Would be good to plan some dates well before to make arrangements…

Germany

I just asked Mrs. terbang, option three would be the most tempting but we would come to the other two as well if we can fit it in. What approximate date do you have in mind? September or October would be no problem for us.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Told my wife that there are some folks left in this world who seem to appreciate what I do. Never seen such a blank stare in my life followed by “that must be a collection of really weird freaks”. Hmm, sometimes people from the outside can really touch an open nerve, no?

As I have said earlier, the work of organising a fly-in is not that challenging as the pilots involved are adults and don’t need hand-holding. It’s more about providing some info and being in touch with the airport to alert them that a group is coming. So anyone here should not shy away from ‘facilitating’ one, which is the better word. France would be ideal, as it is central to most of us, and is so aviation-friendly. But then again, there is AERO F’hafen which can be seen as a fly-in, although nothing beats going to a friendly field and spend time with each other on the apron and be flexible to do some group flying while there.

Having said that, I’m fine facilitating another one if there is interest. Best would be just after summer, late Sept, early Oct, because there would be plenty of accommodation, it’s not searing hot and there is still a reasonable chance of good en-route wx for you Northeners. Three suggestions:

1. LEAP Ampuriabrava. Very active parajumper field. Good rwy, near the sea. The nice city of Girona nearby. Flying excursion into the Pyrenees an option. Privately run, easy. VFR-only but very rarely IMC. AVGAS and JetA available.

2. LECN Castellon (not to be mistaken for LECH, the big AENA Castellon field). Right on the beach (make an over-run and all you need to do is step out of your aircraft and go swim). Rwy is asphalt, a little rough but doable. No city nearby, so this is a beach destination. A flying excursion into Spain’s hinterland is always interesting. VFR-only but very rarely IMC. AVGAS, Mogas and JetA available. Here:

3. Come to ‘my’ field! Short of the adventures of @Dan @terbang @loco and others, this is the best-value-for money adventure you can get. I’ll set up bunk beds in my hangar at a reasonable price, find some local bridges for the renegades amongst us to sleep under at a discount. Will arrange for daytime activities consisting of clearing stones from the runway and gently remove non-radio traffic. That would be turtles. 800 m rwy into the prevailing wind and an illegal 200 m one if the Tramuntana really blows. Mogas available through my cans, reasonable surcharge.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

This was one of the best fly-ins we have ever had!

We need @Aart to do some more… I think that is the key

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And finally here is my trip writeup

Nice writeup, @Peter!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I knew I was missing something in this thread. Now we can call it complete!

Thx @Peter, @aart, @Aerosteve, @Dan, @dublinpilot and all others that contributed to the success of this meetup!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

And finally here is my trip writeup

https://peter2000.co.uk/aviation/lecd/index.html

This is the first writeup I have found time for (a day or so) in two years!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
193 Posts
Sign in to add your message