Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Nice run over to Calais

Lots of people have wondered that.

You do have to "clear Customs" even though you remain airside.

One reason is that you could then fly on within that country (or within Schengen) and nobody downstream would know that you didn't clear Customs.

Lots of French airports are empty... nobody there. So you walk in and out again. But that's irrelevant to the principle.

At some airports, a policeman drives up to the plane (from memory: Zaragoza, some Greek ones) and looks at your passports. That's really convenient.

At the top end of the market, I am told, bizjet passengers can sometimes clear Customs by a policeman going into the aircraft and checking their passports, so they don't have to get out at all.

In special situations you can stay airside, when it is clear the onward flight will be to an international destination so clearing Customs "here" is irrelevant. For example I (and all passengers) stayed on board a plane (747?) while it refuelled at Barbados, from St Lucia to the UK. It ought to be possible to arrange the same for GA doing just a fuel stop but it never seems possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rob,

yes I would say so. Using Calais in order to fly to or from the UK without notifying customs as required would technically be like using a (non-customs) farmstrip. You can't just make a stop there and just declare "hey, but the aircraft, passengers and goods remained the same". Sure would be nice, though...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I did but just on their web page. No-one showed up.

EGTK Oxford

If you go to do a approach and land, have a bite to eat but don't leave the airport do you still have to let customs know. Rob

Sounds like a plan.

EGTK Oxford

Next time :)

Perhaps we should organise a forum lunch somewhere ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

That was us! Sorry, I would have said hello if I had realised.

EGTK Oxford

We parked right next to you I think assuming you were in the very nice PA46 - 2/3 adults and one child?

Must have seen you. What were you in?

EGTK Oxford

It was indeed a great day to fly. We landed at Calais just after 1300 for lunch chez Freddy (and very good it was too)

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message