Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Linz LOWL / LOLO

aviator.at has info – best to call ahead if it is already open again after winter etc…

always learning
LO__, Austria

In order to spend a day visiting Linz, is Linz Ost (LOLO) usable ? It seems a glider base.
Aircraft is a C172, VFR.

LFOU, France

Vilshofen is is a good airfield, been there several times.

So to restart this, any more views on Vilshofen other than opening hours and fog. Seems like it would be OK to put a PA-46 in there.

EGTK Oxford

I have been there this summer with a C172 (I think it was VFR), payed around 40 Euro, self handling (walked to the office) and left within an hour - so no parking (no PPR but I would be on a flight plan either VFR or IFR - crossing FIRs). They were very keen on the precise MTOW... Overall I think it's an OK airport for GA.

Flown there quite a few times (used to be member of an aeroclub there), as stated above great airport, but expensive for non-based GA. Concur re Wels, which is a 20 min train ride from Linz. If you plan to go there in the near future, beware rapidly forming fog. Nearly caught me out once, and the nearest IFR field is Salzburg!

If Passau is your ultimate destination Vilshofen is a good bet, but again beware fog (it sits right next to the Danube) and their ops hours. Great restaurant right on the field.

One more thing - I don't know what the state of play is with 'German Only' fields in Germany, but if memory serves Vilshofen is one of them. Better check.

The list of exemptions (§ 3) includes all aircraft up to 2 tons but also all flights that where not planned to arrive at the airport. So you file a flight plan to non covered airport and then you divert. Max' tip with Wels LOLW is the perfect example. You file to Wels and then divert to Linz and you don't have to pay or have a fiscal representative.

I am not trying to sound officious but this appears to me like the German "public transport < = 4 seat concession".

Like a lot of things in aviation, OK so long as nobody doesn't like you

There are loads of stunts one can do with diversions, e.g. filing to a Schengen airport and then diverting to Croatia. PROB99 OK if done infrequently... and most satisfying at the time

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK so I am below 2t. For Passau Vilshofen EDMV looks closest VFR. Might go there but divert to Linz if IFR.

EGTK Oxford

You only need a fiscal representative before taking off from a flight where you have to pay the passenger fee.

The list of exemptions (§ 3) includes all aircraft up to 2 tons but also all flights that where not planned to arrive at the airport. So you file a flight plan to non covered airport and then you divert. Max' tip with Wels LOLW is the perfect example. You file to Wels and then divert to Linz and you don't have to pay or have a fiscal representative.

If I understand the relevant law correctly (it's Austrian, so I can't be sure ;-) ) aircraft below two tons are excempt from this tax. See here: (Para 3, Point 7)

EDDS - Stuttgart
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message